Re: When does a document acquire (web) semantics?

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 4:53 PM, John Madden <john.madden@duke.edu> wrote:

> Hi Oliver,
>        (For a medical document, it might not be *me* that insists on this
> claim; it might be my employer/hospital.
>        They don't want people attributing meanings to the document other
> than those they have had a chance
>        to approve, because they don't want somebody claiming the RDF/OWL
> they published led to a subsequent
>        adverse event (by, e.g. being used in a decision support system at
> some later time that attributed a different
>        meaning to some vocabulary item). So for example they might only
> allow locally defined classes properties
>        to be used in the graph.)

To me, this sounds a little ridiculous. Anyone can make an ontology that
"misinterprets" the data in the original document by adding superclasses and
superproperties. The employer/hospital cannot prohibit someone else's
ignorance.

Jim
--
Jim McCusker