From: Jim McCusker [mailto:james.mccusker@yale.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:09 PM
To: Matthias Löbe
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
Subject: Re: An Universal Exchange Language

2010/12/14 Matthias Löbe <matthias.loebe@imise.uni-leipzig.de<mailto:matthias.loebe@imise.uni-leipzig.de>>
Hello to all,

A central point is to create an "Universal Exchange Language" that is
architecturally neutral, XML-based, extensible, optimized for
representing structured data, and that should have the ability to
include/ reference controlled vocabularies. That language would be
used to design fine-grained data elements that could be tagged with
metadata. These data elements should be modular, reusable, interlinked
and should not be tied to a specific context.

Like it or not, they were probably thinking of HL7 and ISO 21090. We would need to show how semweb solutions are a better solution, or how it is tied too much to healthcare, leaving out life sciences, population science, chemistry, etc. We don't yet have *a* solution for this, we have several. :-)

Jim
--
Jim McCusker
Programmer Analyst