Re: [pedantic-web] Corrections to recent HCLS notes and SWAN ontology

Hi Simon,

On 23 Oct 2009, at 19:05, Simon Reinhardt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have some corrections and remarks on the new HCLS notes [1][2] as
> well as the SWAN ontology.
>
> First of all the Turtle code has some errors in both of the
> documents. The prefixes at the beginning of each block are defined
> in SPARQL syntax ("PREFIX blah: <uri...>") however the syntax for
> Turtle is different. It should be "@prefix blah:
> <uri...> ." (trailing dot!).

Thanks, well spotted.
I fixed that in svn, I'll see if the W3C team if the published note
can be updated.

> Then in [2], section 5.2 you write URIs as literals several times.
> This happens with the predicates
> swanci:contributionPublicationEnvironment,
> swanci:contributionPublisher, swanpav:importedFromSource,
> swanci:publishedBy and owl:sameAs. And inspecting the SWAN
> ontologies all those are object properties, so the values really
> shouldn't be literals.

I fixed that as well - will also check for republishing.

> Also this document randomly switches to RDF/XML for one block of
> syntax in section 6 while the next block below is Turtle again. Any
> particular reason for that? I think that's rather confusing for the
> reader.
>
> Concerning the SWAN ontologies themselves I noticed that the
> namespaces stated in [2], section 1.3, don't resolve to anything. I
> would expect that when accessing those URIs I get redirected to the
> particular ontology document (and, since you use namespace URIs
> ending in / I would also expect any term URI built from that to
> redirect to its ontology). Instead they redirect to URIs like http://swan.mindinformatics.org/ontologies/1.2/discourse-elements/
>  which return a 404.

We were indeed aware of that, and asked the sysadmin to fix it.
Paolo, do you know the current status of the redirect ?

> Going through the SWAN ontology site [3] I can reach the OWL files,
> however when inspecting them I notice that they don't actually use
> the PURL namespaces from [2]. Instead they use the URIs those
> redirect to directly - so all URIs of the terms defined in there
> don't match the URIs of the terms in the W3C document. The HTML
> specs provided on the SWAN site also declare those to be the
> namespace URIs and not the PURL ones.
> Finally, all OWL documents appear to be served with MIME type text/
> xml instead of application/rdf+xml so RDF or OWL tools might not
> recognise them properly.

Might be also something that can be fixed by the sysadmins from the
swan server ?

Best,

Alex.

--