Re: [hcls] Updated wiki page for HCLS Knowledge Base

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Matthias Samwald <samwald@gmx.at> wrote:
>>  that said, I also don't think the final SPARQL end point should be remote at all,
>
> So where should the final SPARQL end point be located? In a server inside
> the intranet of each organization? On the client side? How should it be
> filled? By crawling linked data resources? Please specify.

The current scientific practice is to set up your input data first,
and then do analysis... I have yet to see any scientist to
differently.

Projecting this to RDF, the input would be a single SPARQL end point.
But since the scientist does want to aggregate and preprocess the data
to his particular wishes and needs, *this* SPARQL end point will be
local, so, yes on the client side.

*How* the scientist will fill this local repository highly depends on
his wishes too. This will likely be a mix of remote SPARQL queries,
RDFa for extracting data from this new journal paper in Nature (...),
some local RDF files (and perhaps a institutional SPARQL, though those
resources seem to be rather unused so far, perhaps because they do not
have SPARQL end points yet), some properties calculated locally and/or
remotely which he needs too, etc. So, yes, by crawling the cloud for
data.

Point is: crawling will and must be a central part of the process. And
as such, both Linked Data spread around the web *and* SPARQL end
points will go hand in hand. But I disagree that SPARQL end points
what we should aim at as data providers, as scientists will never use
it as such anyway.

Just think of it like this: if you aggregated the data already in the
way the scientists wants it, he is no longer doing cutting edge
science (it's already been done!). Yes, analysis goes beyond the
aggregation, but to provide your scientific point, you will provide
counter arguments based on *external* data, hence the crawling...

Egon

--
Post-doc @ Uppsala University
Homepage: http://egonw.github.com/