Re: Question about standardization

On 13 May 2009, at 03:23, Michael Hucka wrote:

> Hi Oliver,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
[snip]
> In the context of HCLSIG's charter, it might be interesting
> to bring up the fact that SBML tries to be very supportive
> of annotations and semantic web technologies.  (I know
> Oliver is aware of the following, but for other people:) For
> example, there is an explicit scheme in SBML for annotating
> elements of a computational model with references to
> (external) ontologies.  SBML specifies that these
> annotations should be done using some basic RDF syntax.
> There even exists a cool system, MIRIAM Resources
> (http://www.ebi.ac.uk/miriam/), to help software systems
> create links from model elements to (external) resources.
>
> Does this semantic webishness help bring SBML closer to
> HCLSIG?

MIchael, there's no question in my mind that HCLSIG is a perfectly
find venue to discuss SBML and do HCLSIG style things elated to it.

That's distinct from the question whether HCLSIG can produce a
recommendation based on SBML. It can't without a charter change
because it (almost certainly) can't produce recommendations.

Cheers,
Bijan.