Re: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

From: Matthias Samwald <samwald@gmx.at>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:30:42 +0100
To: "public-semweb-lifesci" <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Oliver wrote:
>  Some people involved in BioPAX think they are the same if and only
> if they have the same sequence.
>
>  I think more useful for Systems Biology is that they participate in
> the same reactions with the same kinetics.

But that is a very personal opinion, right? Without doubt, when two classes
of proteins have the same dispositions and functions (to use BFO - lingo),
this is a very important thing to know. Nonetheless, if their structures are
completely different, most biologists would describe them as distinct
classes of proteins. The notion that any molecule or molecular complex
should be called "Insulin" just because it has the same effect on regulating
blood sugar seems quite avantgarde to me.

 -- Matthias