Re: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

> On 24 Mar 2009, at 12:20, samwald@gmx.at wrote:
>

> >>   Can any one name a real world example of where confusion between an
> >> entity and its record was issue?
> >
> > I would say that 80% of the RDF/OWL ontologies lingering somewhere
> > on the web are examples.
>
> Such a violation of Sturgeon's Law[1] would be cause for much rejoicing!

Yes, I was actually thinking about 90% first, but then the OBO Foundry ontologies are becoming more widespread (and do not have this issue), and DBpedia shows some awareness of these issues, too...

> I'd be interested in doing a survey on this to determine how
> widespread the problem really is. Is there a reasonable corpus that
> approximates your experience?

That was my experience when using the entire web as a corpus, i.e., searching for existing ontologies for a certain use-case via Swoogle, Sindice etc.

 -- Matthias