Re: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:34:24 +0000
To: W3C HCLSIG hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
On 24 Mar 2009, at 12:20, samwald@gmx.at wrote:

>>   Can any one name a real world example of where confusion between an
>> entity and its record was issue?
>
> I would say that 80% of the RDF/OWL ontologies lingering somewhere
> on the web are examples.

Such a violation of Sturgeon's Law[1] would be cause for much rejoicing!

But is the crappiness of these ontologies primarily use/mention issues?

I'd be interested in doing a survey on this to determine how
widespread the problem really is. Is there a reasonable corpus that
approximates your experience?

Cheers,
Bijan.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law