Re: Cross Language with topic maps [was Re: ìö‘` : KB note]

At 2:32 PM -0700 5/28/08, Jack Park wrote:
>Thanks for the question, Kai.
>
>Topic maps in RDF:
>There exists an OWL DL variant of the XML topic maps standard (XTM) [1]
>There may be others. Certainly a search on "owl topic map" reveals interest.
>
>I have an OWL Full variant of the TMRM "subject
>maps" standard, ISO 13250-5. The TMRM (topic
>maps reference model) departs from the XML topic
>maps standard (which I helped create) by
>reducing topic mapping to its core
>functionality, releasing the standard from XML
>serialization schemes. We are now back to the
>frame-based representations many people are
>familiar with. But, I have yet to find a way to
>use DL because the properties of each OWL class
>or instance (we call them "subjects") must also
>be subjects; the co-reference of a property as a
>class instance has evaded me: I have yet to make
>it validate. But, validation as OWL Full flys
>quite easily. Each property instance is then
>contained in a p-list rather than thinking in
>terms of restrictions. Wierd, but it does answer
>SPARQL queries.
>
>Topic maps do not and should not interfere with
>the semantic web; they bring other
>characteristics to knowledge representation and
>organization that, I think, enhance the semantic
>web's capabilities. For one thing, they offer
>two opportunities: they automatically organize
>all entities of the semantic web in a
>subject-centric fashion, and, in so doing, they
>offer the opportunity to federate (a kind of
>merge) ontologies of all kinds. For instance, it
>may be that the NCI cancer ontology has a few
>terms (classes) that are also found (perhaps
>even under a different name) in, say, a
>Parkinson's ontology. We can merge all
>ontologies, no matter the names, so long as we
>are able to identify that different classes
>happen to be representing the same subject
>(entity, concept, whatever you wish to call it),
>the two entities are merged.

One can do that in OWL also. In fact one can do
that in any notation which has (1) globally
scoped names, such as URIs, and (2) an equality
operator, to assert identity; in OWL, that is
owl:sameAs.

BTW, one can also (of course) have multiple names
for the same entity, and (in OWL Full) link the
various names to such things as email messages,
comments, etc..

I don't see what 'extra' topic maps bring as far
as all this is concerned. All the actual work is
in doing that identification, which is still more
an art than a science. Recording it once it is
made is easy. In this context, I think your use
of the word 'automatically' above may be rather
misleading.

Pat

> [...]
>>>     >> ùæåèêl: kc28@email.med.yale.edu
>>>     <mailto:kc28@email.med.yale.edu>; Tim Clark
>>>     >> è¥ëó: M. Scott Marshall; public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
>>>     <mailto:public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
>>>     >> éÂÃ’: Re: KB note
>>>     >>
>>>     >>
>>>     >>
>>>     >>> Speaking of national boundaries, I wonder if alternative
>>>     medicine (e.g.,
>>>     >>> herbal
>>>     >>> medicine) would also be of interest to this community. For
>>>     example,
>>>     >>> Huperzine
>>>     >>> is a drug derived from the herb Huperzia serrata. I also
>>>     wonder if there
>>>     >>> are
>>>     >>> hypotheses regarding the study of herbs in the possible
>>>     treatment of
>>>     >>> neurological diseases.
>>>     >>>
>>>     >> I would also be very motivated to help in this kind of research.
>>>     >> Specifically, Huperzine A would be a very interesting use-case
>>>     for our
>>>     >> developments. It is a herbal compound with a history in folk
>>>     medicine and is
>>>     >>
>>>     >> available OTC in most countries, yet it rivals the effectiveness of
>>>     >> currently leading Alzheimer medications such as Tacrine. It
>>>     also has a dual
>>>     >> mode of action that does not only involve acetylcholinesterase
>>>     inhibition,
>>>     >> but also modulation of the NMDA receptor. The implications of
>>>     this for the
>>>     >> treatment of Alzheimer's are still a rather hot topic.
>>>     >>
>>>     >> The integration of knowledge from traditional medicine, plant
>>>     >> taxonomy/phylogeny/biochemistry and receptor binding databases
>>>     (PDSP Ki
>>>     >> database, IUPHAR) could lead to the identification of some
>>>     extremely novel
>>>     >> therapeutic strategies. Finding candidate molecules in such a
>>>     way might be
>>>     >> much more effective than weeding through libraries of compounds
>>>     generated by
>>>     >>
>>>     >> combinatorial synthesis etc. The challenge lies in the
>>>     integration of some
>>>     >> very heterogenous datasets that come from vastly different
>>>     disciplines,
>>>     >> which is exactly the field of research where Semantic Web
>>>     technologies are
>>>     >> most effective.
>>>     >>
>>>     >> I guess the major problem for this kind of research is that
>>>     there are no
>>>     >> funding programmes that span China, the US and Asia...
>>>     >>
>>>     >> Cheers,
>>>     >> Matthias Samwald
>>>     >>
>>>     >> DERI Galway, Ireland // Semantic Web Company, Austria

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections