Re: SenseLab note: should flaws in open source ontology editors be mentioned?

On May 16, 2008, at 5:44 PM, Matthias Samwald wrote:

>> However, how _exactly_ can the process of "editing the complex,
>> expressive ontologies" be improved? Concrete suggestions welcome.
>
> The process is not the problem. It would be a good start if the
> ontology editors would work as advertised,

Uhm...afaik, all the tools mentioned below are advertised as best
effort, open source, free beer tools. I believe we pretty clearly
adverted Swoop as being primarily our *test bed* (note we never had
specific funding for swoop...it was always skunkworks and spare time).

(Oh, and, naturally, it really is effectively dead dead dead.)

> without introducing logical or syntactic errors into the ontologies
> during normal work procedure; and if they would adhere to the
> respective standards and not some specific interpretation thereof.
> I would estimate that 50% of the time editing the SenseLab
> ontologies was actually spent on fixing problems caused by Protege
> 3.x. Don't get me wrong, I like Protege, but it can have its
> downsides in certain scenarios. Swoop also caused me some troubles,
> and Protege 4 was/is still in Alpha version...

Speaking as a tool builder, I don't have any problem with this sort
of statement (phrased nicely and fairly!). Of course, it helps if
bugs are reported (or patches offered) etc. etc. etc.

I think things will get better. There are more shops working on
stuff. The underlying apis are way more mature. And the specs are
getting much better (don't underestimate this point; working from the
old owl specs was unnecessarily hard). However, the more general
effort put in the better...I ended up doing a lot of QA work on swoop
and that's certainly something many people can learn how to do...

Cheers,
Bijan.