Re: Trust in statements (still is BioRDF Brainstorming)

On Feb 13, 2008, at 2:14 PM, M. Scott Marshall wrote:

> Dear Matt,
>
> I see 'trust' as a 'view' that can be produced by running a filter
> over
> the data (provenance). The filter would implement my trust policy, or
> one of them. In other words, my trust in a given 'agent' can be due to
> the fact that it produces data using a certain algorithm. I also
> place a
> certain level of trust in the instrumentation that produced the data,
> the p-values of an analysis in the processing pipeline, human
> operators
> involved, etc. So, the weights or confidence measures that you are
> describing and that Alan is qualifying would be the *output* of such a
> trust policy or filter. I would not besmirch the data with my own
> personal trust models nor easily trust those of others. ;) I guess
> that
> what I'm trying to say is equivalent to Alan's point: I would
> prefer to
> keep facts and their evidence disclosed symbolically in the data so
> that
> different 'views' can take them into account.
>
> But, before I go to build such 'views' or filters, I will wait for
> that
> sort of information to become machine-readable as data provenance. :)
>
> However, I *can* try to make that sort of information available for
> data
> that I am helping to manage or produce. It seems that having a triple
> store (such as Virtuoso) with named graph support would make it
> possible
> to produce several types of potentially useful data provenence.

The problem with NGs (and especially with existing RDF support) is
the close coupling between provenance and the URI from which the
triples were obtained.

If I wish to make available a collection of triples t1...tn where
each triple has its own provenance information tp1...tpn then I have
to have n URIs. If I serve up those triples through a SPARQL endpoint
then the act of creating a new graph will lose all the original NG
information.

NGs are not directly supported in the RDF model and it's not clear
how NGs would be accessed from an OWL-level API such as the OWLAPI.

There are proposed extensions such as Trix/Trig - and there may be
some relation between NGs and quoting in N3. However, AFAIK the
meaning of these extensions in the OWL-DL formalism is not clear.

I don't think NGs are so useful beyond SPARQL. I think the only
option here is to embrace rdf-reification (and to push for better
syntax, query and tool support). After all, this is how provenance at
the OWL level will work in OWL1.1 (i.e. annotating axioms)