Re: Towards a cyberinfrastructure for the biological sciences: progress, visions and challenges

Kei Cheung wrote:
> Also, it's interesting to see scientific workflows can be published via
> Wiki (e.g., myExperiment).

But as far as I know, myExperiment does not allow editing the actual
workflows online, you can only upload and visualize workflow files that have
been created on the client-side. I guess that still poses a significant
hindrance to realizing the 'anyone can edit' philosophy of classic wikis. In
this regard, fully server-sided systems such as the well known Yahoo Pipes
or the quickly maturing Semantic Web Pipes [1] might be the way to go.

Regarding the article, it will probably seem a bit puzzling to many people
on this mailing list that Lincoln Stein writes

"To my knowledge, there is currently only one project that aims to bring the
pure semantic web to biomedical research. That project is the Simple
Semantic Web Architecture and Protocol (SSWAP30)"

It's nice that Nature allows the community to add descriptions about our
various projects on the wiki page associated with the article [2];
unfortunately, though, most readers of the original article will probably
not have a look at that wiki.

[1] http://pipes.deri.org/
[2] http://nrgwiki.nature.com/cyberinfrastructureforbiology/show/HomePage

Cheers,
Matthias Samwald
DERI Galway, Ireland // Semantic Web Company, Vienna