Re: RFC 2616 vs. AWWW

On Oct 11, 2007, at 4:19 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:

> URI1  the first URI
> endp    the http endpoint identified by URI1
> URI2   the URI to which endp redirects URI1
> redir   the http endpoint identified by URI2
> potato  the potato which (we all know) URI refers to
>
> Then the following should hold, according to http-range-14:
>
> URI1 refers to potato
> URI1 identifies endp
> URI2 identifies redir
> URI2 refers to endp (since endp is an 'information resource, the
> kind that HTTP1.1spec is talking about, so reference and
> identification coincide here)
>
> and, hopefully, endp emits representations which explain the first
> of these facts.

Do you mean that URI2 refers to redir?
Otherwise "reference and identification coincide here" doesn't seem
to hold, as the way you have stated is
URI2 identifies redir and URI2 refers to endp
(unless endp and redir are the same thing)

A few other questions.

1) Could you repeat here the definition of "identify" that you use or
point me to something that defines identify in the way you use it?  I
think I'm ok with "denote"? I wasn't able to figure out what
identifies means from the relatively few references to the term
identify or identifies [1,2] in the http spec.

Given the http definition of resource: "A network data object or
service that can be identified by a URI, as defined in section 3.2.
Resources may be available in multiple representations (e.g. multiple
languages, data formats, size, and resolutions) or vary in other ways."

2) Would it be fair to assume that the class "data object" and
"service" are disjoint classes. (something can't be a data object and
a service at the same time)
3) Given (2) Is there any way for me to tell, absent some assertion,
whether a URI identifies or refers to a data object or a service?
4) Is it just me, or is the following nonsensical? "a service may be
available in multiple representations" (obtained by substitution of
"resource" by "service" sanctioned by "resource: A network data
object or service".)
5) "emits" isn't part of the http spec [3]. Given that, this account
doesn't acknowledge any relation between either of the URIs, and the
resource of which the representations "emitted" are made available
of. So we have a dangling resource, as it were.

[1] google: "site:http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/ identify"
[2] google: "site:http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/ identifies"
[3] google: "site:http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/ emits"