Re: [hcls] Harmonization of labels, descriptions and definitions

On May 29, 2007, at 4:58 AM, William Bug wrote:

> This is exactly the point I've been making for over a year now
> regarding use of SKOS in biomedical ontology development, and it is
> why we use SKOS:prefLabel for all classes in BIRNLex (as well as
> having the redundant rdfs:label for interoperability purposes).
> The "altLabel" provides a means not only to associate lexical
> variants but ultimately to create "namespace qualified" term sets
> or "views" of a single ontology with the terms tailored to the
> needs of a specific community.  There would need to be an expansion
> of annotation support in OWL to fully implement this, but SKOS can
> provide a means to standard that method in the lexical domain, once
> the required annotation capabilities have been added to OWL.
[snip]

Would you mind explaining exactly what you need from the annotation
capabilities? We have been discussing a fairly clean way to beef up
OWL 1.1 annotations and I'd be curious to know if it handled this
(important) case.

Cheers,
Bijan.