Evidence for backing statements

From: Matt Williams <matthew.williams@cancer.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 09:21:14 +0100
To: public-semweb-lifesci hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

I've been lurking & reading the discussion with interest.

It might be worth pointing out that there is an ongoing attempt to
classify/ represent evidential links/ weight/ etc. started in the legal
domain by people such as Wigmore and continued by people such as David
Schum & William Twining. There's currently a Leverhulme-sponsored
research programme on "Evidence Science", centered at UCL, London.

Such efforts don't seem to easily map to rdf (they're often based on
Bayesian models), but might provide some inspiration, although some of
the legal niceties may be unnecessary.

I also know that the issue has been looked at by some in the
argumentation community, where the "source" of the rules that make the
argument need to be defined.

If anyone is interested in these, please contact me off-list.

Thanks,

Matt

--
http://acl.icnet.uk/~mw