Re: Advancing translational research with the Semantic Web

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 22:59:05 -0400
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
To: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>

On May 17, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Eric Jain wrote:

> The "protein expression process" class that needs to be introduced
> here does seem a bit like bending over backwards (I know in other
> cases such as protein-protein interactions it fits better); also
> you need to introduce an additional predicate, "has_participant".
> This would certainly work, however from my point of view the best
> solution is the solution that uses the fewest custom concepts,
> because the more concepts you introduce, the smaller the chance
> that someone else will express (or expect to be able to express)
> the same information in the same way (or in a way that can be
> mapped easily), and in consequence data integration is more difficult!

Not if the classes are given logical expressions, as I did in my
example - in that case a reasoner can infer that they are the
equivalent, based on their logical definitions. They may land up
having two names, but that's not really a problem if the reasoning
happened and the equivalence was taken account of in the queries.

-Alan