Re: Advancing translational research with the Semantic Web

The example isn't necessarily a disagreement. Both could be true.

I think these really need to be class statements, in any case, to
make any sense.

In my representation this is (schematically)

Class protein_a_expression_process_located_in_tissue_b
    subclassOf expression and produced some protein_a and located_in
some tissue b
annotation: has_evidence: traceable author statement, cites evidence
source: c

Class protein_a_expression_process_located_in_tissue_b
    subclassOf expression and produced some protein_a and located_in
some tissue e
annotation: has_evidence: traceable author statement, cites evidence
source: c

No disagreement. But also not so much power.

I have proposed in other mail (on this list, I think) that one may
strengthen this, either as hypothesis, or by conviction by making the
"overstatement"

expression and produced some protein_a
equivalentClass protein_a_expression_process_located_in_tissue_b
equivalentClass protein_a_expression_process_located_in_tissue_e

Now if tissue e and tissue b are disjoint, there would be a
contradiction.

Or we could hypothesize that

expression and produced some protein_a
equivalentClass
    unionOf(protein_a_expression_process_located_in_tissue_b,
protein_a_expression_process_located_in_tissue_e)

Given what's been said so far, we can't actually tell which of these
two cases is supposed to be meant.

And even my version  doesn't handle parts very well. In the case of
cellular components, for example, we want to be able to say that
it's active in the cell and it's active in the E.R. and not have that
be inconsistent because the because every E.R. is part of some cell.

-Alan