Re: Advancing translational research with the Semantic Web

On May 16, 2007, at 6:48 AM, Eric Jain wrote:

>>   EJ> Just catching up on reading papers :-)
>>   EJ> <http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/8/S3/S2>
>>   EJ> "It is also useful to know who believes something and
>>   EJ> why. However, there is no standard way of expressing such
>>   EJ> information about a statement [...]"
>>   EJ> Reification?
>> That's who, not why. The Gene Ontologies evidence codes are and
>> references are much closer. Also, I am not sure of the semantics
>> of reification. Does it mean "I
>> made this statement", "I believe this statement" or "I am the person
>> responsible for the evidence on which this statement is based". All
>> three are independent I think.
>
> I assume what it means depends on the property that is used? In
> place of (or in addition to) the popular dc:creator you could
> introduce properties such as supportedBy, or whatnot. Arguably the
> lack of established properties for such information may be a bit of
> a problem, but the paper goes on to mention named graphs as a
> possible solution, so that's not the level we're talking at. In any
> case, no big deal, just another piece of evidence that reification
> is an ugly neglected step-child :-)

Actually, DC provides several elements that could assist in providing
greater subtlety to such reified expressions:
	dc:creator (as Eric points out)
	dc:contributor
	dc:publisher
	dc:coverage
	dc:source

The problem - as Bijan stated - is there is neither a standard syntax
for expressing this subtlety - nor are there even sufficiently
narrow, standard practices for what objects you link (i.e., the
range) when using these specific dc elements.  In the end, to make
use of these entities when expressing subtle provenance information,
one would still need to embed a great deal of logic in your
application to carry this burden - and that would be YOUR logic built
on YOUR approach to representing this information, which, whether
given by a formal syntax or not, others aren't likely to share.

OWL 1.1 does provide some help in this realm, as Bijan mentioned.  It
is my understanding OWL 2.0 will provide even more.

Cheers,
Bill

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org