RE: UniProt RDF via HTTP

From: Eric Neumann <eneumann@teranode.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 15:13:43 -0400
To: "Eric Jain" <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>, "Alan Ruttenberg" <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
cc: "public-semweb-lifesci" <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

Eric,

First off, let me applaud your efforts and say they are very timely indeed, and we intend to use them as much as possible...

Eric Jain wrote:

> Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>> Do you assign LSIDs to those resources too? If so is there a way to
>> figure out which are "yours" and which are "theirs"?
>
> One of the main reasons for using LSIDs was that I need proper URIs for all
> the resources we reference, and most resources have two meter long,
> frequently changing cgi-bin URLs (OK, I'm exaggerating, but not much).

I'm not sure this is true-- why not set up your uniprot server to do (internal) redirection similar to how purl.org works?
Then the url would be persistent and almost look like an lsid:  e.g., http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345

> Moreover, what is "ours" and what is "theirs" isn't always clear (again,
> consider the taxonomy data, which is basically the NCBI taxonomy), though
> in general if it resolves to one of our servers, then it's probably ours.

In light of what steps Uniprot has taken, I hope our conversation with NCBI and a possible URI space go forwards...

cheers,
Eric