Re: Goedel's incompleteness theorom?

Daniel --

"Sound and complete" is sometimes used to mean "may run forever and will
find all correct answers, but won't tell you when that has happened".

What's usually needed in practical reasoning systems is "sound, complete,
and terminating", -- and of course, efficient.

This is possible for useful subsets of logic.  The paper

   Backchain Iteration: Towards a Practical Inference Method that is Simple
   Enough to be Proved Terminating, Sound and Complete. Journal of Automated
Reasoning, 11:1-22**

is one example, and it forms the basis for a Wiki-like system.  The system
is online, with medical and other examples, at the site below.

Apologies to those who have seen this before, and thanks for comments.

                                                 -- Adrian

** If this is of interest, I'll be glad to send you a copy

Internet Business Logic
A Wiki for Executable Open Vocabulary English
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free

Adrian Walker
Reengineering