Re: Notes from informal Demo F2F / "aha"

On Mar 6, 2007, at 5:19 PM, Mark Montgomery wrote:

> I agree with Olivier, particularly when considering multi-component
> systems (certainly our goal).
>
> Which brings up the questions of priorities? (1-10 each?)
>
> Is it to demonstrate the functionality and value of languages/OWL?
> informatics? universal standards? value of component research?
> specific tools?
> And relative to- patient care? lowering healthcare costs? more
> accurate/faster diagnosis? fewer errors? And/or?
>
> .02- MM
>
> Mark Montgomery
> Founder, Kyield
> http://kyield.com

The audience for the next demo is the WWW conference, who are
expected to be semantic web enthusiasts. Our goal is to show them how
semantic web technologies can be realistically be used, at scale, in
an area of importance to our society, namely science. The submitted
title of the presentation is "Harnessing the Semantic Web to Answer
Scientific Questions". Much of our audience will not be familiar with
the domain, but some might. On our side we want the questions to be
interesting, and the answers to be plausible, even if the majority of
the audience might not be able to assess that, since that's what
gives us the confidence to got out there and say this stuff is useful
and workable. For the audience we will want to expose what
technologies we are using, and how, why we like them, what issues we
have, what developments we want to see, and where we are going next.
I expect that we will be contrasting what we have with other methods
of getting to answers, such as google or pubmed searches, and showing
that our results are more specific, more comprehensive, and easier to
absorb, than the alternatives. The audience will want to see our work
as template for how other areas of societal importance (and they
themselves) could benefit from the technology. For some reason I keep
having that quote from Blade Runner in my head: "if only you could
see what I've seen with your eyes".

That make sense?

Do others who are working on the demo have anything to add (or
disagree with any of this?)

-Alan

ps. here's what you asked for (all my views, without deep thought)

functionality and value of languages/OWL? (5)
informatics?  (0 - given)
universal standards? (8)
value of component research? (not sure what you mean)
specific tools? (3)
And relative to- patient care? (5)
lowering healthcare costs? (I'll say 2, since the route is indirect,
via better science)
more accurate/faster diagnosis? (3, same reason)
fewer errors? (6)
And/or? (Less wasted effort;  more informed scientists: unlocking
knowledge for computational exploration; more value for your research
tax dollar)