Re: cell types, brain regions mentioned in gensat

	+++++++=========== 	NEURONAL CELL TYPES 	===========+++++++

Chris is correct - the MOST LIKELY shared community ontology to
address the issue of cells would be the Cell Ontology, though in its
currently distributed form - see (http://www.berkeleybop.org/
ontologies/#mappings) - it's very problematically both ontologically
and in terms of what a neuroanatomist and cellular neurobiologist
would want.

This brings us to a particular problem with the GENSAT AND the
BrainPharm/SenseLab cell types - relating to shared cell type
ontologies.  It's POSSIBLE the GENSAT folks started with the Cell
Ontology.  Some of their cell terms are in there.  It's even more
likely this is something they grew themselves.  This is most
definitely true for many of the cell "sub types".

The Cell-Centered Database (CCDB) has done A LOT of work on this
issue.  It would really be a terrible waste if this is not being
included in whatever work is going on amongst the CL Ontology folks
and GMOD folks - at least in the domain of neuronal cells.  It's
quite likely some form of the CCDB work is available in OWL.  I've
cc'd Maryann & Stephen who've been working on CCDB ontologies.  They
could answer that question.

With BrainPharm - at least as I understand it (Luis Marenco and/or
Kei of Yale would be best suited to answer this) the "cell types"
they create have been based both on the wealth of knowledge Gordon
Shepherd brings to this issue of neuronal cell types (at least as a
core organizing principle).  This - possibly with input from some
shared, distilled knowledge resources such as MeSH (as Don says) has
then been built out by the 1000s of cellular neurobiologists who've
contributed to the the SenseLab database - very empirically.  To my
knowledge (Kei & Luis?), they have not tied this into any current,
shared community ontology for cell types - and I'm certain there are
real reasons why this is the case.

	+++++++=========== 	RODENT BRAIN ATLASES and BRAIN REGION
SPECIFICATION 	===========+++++++

As for brain regions, this TOO is problematic.  What Gwen states is
colloquially correct - you will find brain regions specified in
atlases.  However, primate atlases and rodent atlases do not
correspond in many areas (this is an ACTIVE area of research and a
major task for us in BIRN given our mandate to integrate across
animal models and human clinical neuroimages related to the diagnosis
and study of neurodegenerative disease).

Limiting just one sub-species - say the Mus musculus musculus x Mus
musculus domesticus hybrids that gave rise to most of the inbred
strains (C57Bl/6, DBA/2, etc.) commonly used to create mouse models
of disease - recombinant inbred, transgenics, congenics, etc. - there
are AT LEAST 3 MRI/MRM atlases of the C57Bl/6 brain:
	LONI - http://www.loni.ucla.edu/MAP/Atlas/
	Ma et al. - http://www.bnl.gov/ctn/mouse/
	Mouse Imaging Center (Toronto) - http://www.mouseimaging.ca/research/
var_brain_atlas.html

and AT LEAST 2 histological atlases of the C57Bl/6 brain:
	LONI - http://www.loni.ucla.edu/MAP/Atlas/Atlas_Archive.html
	NeuroTerrain - http://fireball.drexelmed.edu/neuroterrain/tools.shtml

MRI/MRM atlases are just starting to get under 100 microns in
resolution (compared to histologic resolution generally 20 - 50
microns 3D isotropic) and don't have nearly comparable contrast (yet)
to histological atlases required to perform highly granular region
segmentation.  This contrast issue is especially true in the deep
regions of the diencephalon where many regions important to
neurodegenerative disease reside (s. nigra, n. basalis, striatum, etc.).

And - guess what - they don't all share the same "terminology" for
naming those regions they do delineate (see BAMS links below) NOR are
the regions (the 3D objects) they delineate for a given region -
e.g., "hippocampal formation" -  geometrically equivalent - NOR do
they place these geometries in the same 3D coordinate system.

I realize it must seem I'm getting into too much technical detail
here - BUT- IF the goal is to make MEANINGFUL connections via SPARQL
queries, this sort of behind the scenes "sausage making" issues are
very important issues.

For primate brain regions, the SMARTEST source for a shared
"terminology" is NeuroNames.  As I've mentioned before, this MIGHT be
available in RDF or OWL based on work the BrainInfo/NN PI - Doug
Bowden has done with Jack Park at SRI (I've cc'd Jack on this
email).  Many names from other species are in there (though not in
the downloadable versions of NN which are CIRCA 2002).  There is a
knowledgeable - the Brain Architecture Managment System (BAMS) from
Larry Swanson's lab which is curated by Mihail Bota - which makes
available in XML format (don't know what the XSD is) the brain region
specifications for several STANDARD rodent brain atlases.  You'll
find these by navigating from the BAMS home page (http://
brancusi.usc.edu/bkms/) to the 'XML' link:
	http://brancusi.usc.edu/bkms/bamsxml.html

I would note the ABA uses the Franklin & Paxinos altas (2001).

HOWEVER - there are many regions in your spread sheet that are not in
the BAMS Franklin&Paxinos download - for instance "CNU" - which may
actually be a home-grown term for "CNS - unspecified".  Isn't that
special.  Here's why that might be.  Go to the NN/Braininfo page for
one of the regions the ABA classifies as "CNU" such as striatum:
	http://braininfo.rprc.washington.edu/Scripts/
hiercentraldirectory.aspx?ID=207
Click on the "Where is it in the brain?" link.
You will note Striatum, Globus Pallidus, and Amygdala are listed as
being in the "Basal Ganglia".  Leaving the Amygdala aside, certainly
in humans, the Striatum & Globus Pallidus (two regions critical to
the PD Use case, BTW) are considered to be in the Basal Ganglia.
In rodents - especially in mice - this classification is very
problematic.  You won't get any two mouse neuroanatomists to TRULY
agree on all the details, however, there is a generally accepted
region that sort of subsumes the same entity (based on various
histological means of defining structural boundaries as well as other
means such as structure-function, phylogenetic, and ontogenic
relations) called the "caudoputamen" by most (if you drill into
Striatum on BrainInfo, you'll find the Striatum has_part Caudate
Nucleus.  Caudoputamen IS NOT equivalent to the "Basal Ganglia", but
it is probably correct to say it is ANALOGOUS to what in a primate
would be the Putamen and the Caudate Nucleus.
ABA may just have thrown up there hands and said - given their high-
throughput directive - no one seems to agree on this issue, so lets
be careful not to make an assertion that entails committing to an
issue where there is disagreement.  Let's just call Striatum "CNS
Unspecified".
Having said this, there is a Caudoputamen in ABA and it's classified
as "Striatum dorsal Region (STRd).

I would guess Mihail, Maryann, and others would be able to give you a
better explanation of the how to address these difficult issues of
anatomical region correspondence between rodent brain image sets
(GENSAT, ABA) and atlases (Franklin & Paxinos, NeuroTerrain, Ma et
al., etc.).

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
Bill

On Mar 2, 2007, at 11:47 AM, Chris Mungall wrote:

> Umm, the OBO Cell ontology? There are a few ontological issues with
> OBO-Cell right now, but these are currently being addressed. There
> are also efforts within OBO to link cells with the brain regions
> they are part of, although these are currently focused on model
> organisms.
>
> On Mar 2, 2007, at 8:13 AM, Donald Doherty wrote:
>

>> Alan,
>>
>> The region names are all available in the MeSH...would that give
>> you the
>> taxonomy you need? I don't know of a similar source for cell types.
>>
>> Don

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy