Re: URL +1, LSID -1

On 12 Jul 2007, at 17:22, Roderic Page wrote:

> So, you need software that resolves the LSID and retrieves the
> associated data or metadata. There are several kits that will do
> this right now (the SourceForge site has Java and Perl code, and I
> have a PHP client kicking around). LSIDs can be a bit complicated,
> but at least there is a very explicit protocol for getting the
> metadata (you don't have to guess, it tells you exactly how to
> retrieve it).

So what is the advantage of doing all of this effort with this still-
early-release software instead of using a well-tested HTTP client or
library, like curl? Isn't half of this just reinventing the wheel,
when a RESTful webservice knocked up from scratched in a few hours
would do the same job, if not better?

--
Stian Soiland, myGrid team
School of Computer Science