Immunity of SW statements to changes in location. Was: Re: URL +1, LSID -1

On Jul 15, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Eric Jain wrote:
> Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>> The point of having the PURLs  is to ensure that there is a
>> mechanism for handling three cases that LSIDs were intended to
>> address (but which can be addressed without the trouble of
>> introducing a separate resolving mechanism)
>> 1) To be immune from the "actual URL of the representation"
>> changing. (e.g. beta.uniprot.org goes out of beta)
> 1) We'll do a 301 "permanent" redirection, promise.

Yes, but how will we handle the case where some set of people make
statements with the subject being
http://beta.uniprot.org/entry/P12345 and another set makes statements
about http://uniprot.org/entry/P12345. They are really talking about
the same subject, but our semantic web agent won't know that. If we
had used the PURL, then we wouldn't have a problem.

Comments to your other points in separate email.

-Alan