Re: URL +1, LSID -1

I suspect that the firefox plugin, like the resolver client that we have
implemented here
http://mobycentral.icapture.ubc.ca:8090/authority/data/LSID_resolver.jsp
both resolve LSIDs the way they are supposed to:  By discovery of the
appropriate resolver using the discovery methodology defined by the LSID
spec.

In the easiest case, all the information you need to discover a resolver
is in the LSID itself.  In the worst case, it is somewhere in the DNS
system, but discoverable using the LSID itself... so there's really
nothing to worry about.  There's no "centralization" happening in LSIDs.

Ben Good suggested to me yesterday that I should put up a blog of "LSIDs
in 10 minutes" showing the code required to implement an authority server
and a resolver server.  ...I wish I didn't have four grants due in two
weeks!!

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 06:20:00 -0700, Jonathan Rees
<jonathan.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I asked for a HOWTO I meant something a bit more general and
> protocol oriented. Surely you're not advising that a new semweb
> application should link against Firefox, or that it should have a
> particular LSID resolver address wired in. As Mark W has pointed out,
> a single point of failure and contention is not a good thing.
>
> How does the Firefox plugin know who to talk to? Does it have a list
> of LSID resolvers built into it, or sitting in a configuration file?
> DNS resolvers have such a list - the set of root servers. There are
> well-known ways to obtain this list. That kind of information is what
> needs to be in an LSID HOWTO. (For SPARQL-based solutions this issue
> would also have to be addressed somehow.)
>
> Jonathan
>
> On 7/12/07, Ricardo Pereira <ricardo@tdwg.org> wrote:
>>     Hi all,
>>
>>     I just wanted to add to what Rod already said. There is a web
>> resolver at http://lsid.tdwg.org that you can use to resolve LSIDs. The
>> BioPathways resolver isn't available anymore.
>>
>>     You may download a new version of the LSID Browser for Firefox from
>> http://lsids.sourceforge.net <http://lsid.sourceforge.net>. Just follow
>> the link to "Download (new)" and make sure you get version 1.0.1. You
>> will find detailed instructions at
>> http://lsids.sourceforge.net/resources/firefox-lsid-browser/.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>
>> Ricardo

Mark Wilkinson
Assistant Professor, Dept. Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI Bioinformatics
iCAPTURE Centre, St. Paul's Hospital
Tel:  604 682 2344 x62129
Fax:  604 806 9274

***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE***
This electronic message is intended only for the use of the addressee and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication by
unauthorized individuals is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply
e-mail and delete the original and all copies from your system.