Re: URL +1, LSID -1

On Jul 10, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Michel_Dumontier wrote:

> The use of a location free identifier such as an LSID provides me with
> the capability to make statements about resources that I care about.
> LSIDs and URLs can live together just fine. Using owl:sameAs predicate
> to bind them together is one easy way of doing this.  Just make sure
> you're talking about the same thing.

What it doesn't do, is provide the courtesy that has been requested
by other semantic web practitioners, that, based on the identifier,
one can discover something about the resource by "following your nose".

The cost of using an http identifier, and providing a 303 and a
pointer to more information, instead of using an LSID, seems a small
cost to satisfy this community.

While you are correct about LSIDs and URLs being able to be bound
together using sameAs, I don't see why one would, in new designs,
choose to employ both.

-Alan