Re: Unique ID options

On Jan 29, 2007, at 5:38 AM, samwald@gmx.at wrote:

>> I have seen some references how UUID can be used in a URN. But can
>> they be URI:s as well?
>
> URNs are a subclass of URIs. They can be used in any place where
> URIs can be used, e.g. in any RDF graph. Is there a reason why you
> would like to see a non-URN URI scheme for UUIDs? There exists an
> RFC for the encoding of UUIDs in URNs, so it is probably a good
> choice to stick with that:
> http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc4122.txt

Minting new URNs is not considered a great idea. Inevitably people
seem to want to dereference them and this leads to a proliferation of
different (with non machine understandable specification) resolution
schemes and associated costs for deployment. I'd recommend avoiding
them in favor of URIs.

Regards,
Alan