Re: Versioning vs Temporal modeling of Patient State

The IFOMIS work Dirk, Kirsten, and others have cited on referent
tracking is definitely important work to review in this light.  I'd
not been familiar with the model theoretic work Bijan mentions, but
clearly that is important.

Werner Ceusters also has a list - a Google list I believe - on
referent tracking.

This work - and related work on "speech acts" - is most definitely
relevant to this discussion and very specifically is designed to
address ABox.  As the citations given indicate, most of this work has
been done in the clinical domain with a focus on patient records,
which was the origin of this thread and would be directly relevant to
the Use Case Nigam put out there.

Some of that work has begun to seep into the discussions regarding
the sort of GENBANK issues Kei mentioned, but its still really just
discussion to my knowledge.  As you could tell from the way I couched
my description of that problem, clearly referent tracking is a big
part of what must be accomodated in that domain as well - both in
terms of the actual content and evolution of a record  in GENBANK,
TrEMBL, etc., as well as the many ways in which researchers link to
and reference such records.

Also - the work I was mentioning regarding TBox focussed, highly
granular revisions, has been informally discussed by NCBO folks
including Chris Mungal, Fabian Neuhaus, Barry and others - again with
an eye toward providing reasoning services to support this
requirement of the nature of what Bijan, Dirk and others mention
below.  This is associated with the discussions on this topic amongst
both BIRN, OBI, and NCIT participants but has all been very informal
so far - AFAIK.

One of the things I would point out regarding the metadata properties
I was referring to, is this was really meant to be just a simple,
"low hanging fruit" approach to a much more complicated problem.
There was not thought given to how one would actually construct
automatic means to mediate reasoning on - or even just representing -
the evolving semantic graph.  The idea was simply - many biomedical
ontology development projects have begun to notice the pressing need
for version control which appears to be required at a very granular
level.  Standard source version control systems - e.g., CVS, SVN,
etc. - just make the problem worse in my opinion.  This is where I'd
differ with the point Vipul makes.  It's not that there are NO
aspects of the software version process relevant to this issue.  It's
just I believe there are complex issues in this domain - some of
which Bijan mentioned - some of which I mention below regarding
application the traditional approach to employing CVs for literature
annotation - that extend greatly beyond what the common practice in
software version control is intended to support.  In that domain,
highly granular version management has been required, and I believe
something like it will be required in the ontology development space
as well.  Perhaps that's just a qualification and rewording of the
point Vipul was trying to make.

SKOS, as I mentioned, does try to absorb some of what has been done
on this issue in the A&I/library science world in relation to CV
application to the literature annotation process.  This has long been
recognized in that field as extremely important to the proper
curation of a CV/taxonomy/classification scheme/thesaurus.  In that
domain, if you step back a bit from the details and ask - what is the
intended purpose of a CV in that domain - the answer clearly is to
improve both precision and recall (F-measure from standard IR) for
boolean, term-based queries.  Anyone who has used MEDLINE over the
years has learned the utility of this approach - and its limitations
(the barrage of false positives and unknown number of false negatives
that typically still effect query results).  There is no doubt just
looked at empirically that having the people who are annotating the
literature use a CV greatly improves the F-measure of the search
system used to mine the resulting inverted indexes.  However, I know
from time working with the creators of the Biological Abstracts, that
it took months of training for the "indexers" to get good at
consistently applying CV terms - and a lot of QA/QC was still needed
to constantly monitor the output.  The reason really comes down to
the lack of complete, detailed definitions and lack of a formal,
semantic graph really left way too much leeway for indexers, even
when a moderate amount of effort was dedicated to incentivizing
indexers.  Having said that, when highly specific definitions were
used, it was found indexers both greatly slowed in the annotation
output AND use of CV terms went way down, both of which are really at
odds to the intended goal of the process (back to F-measure), which
is to provide maximal annotation given according to a CV.  Even with
this work, BIOSIS (publishers of the Biological Abstracts) and really
all the A&I vendors I knew of, still required a huge educational
staff that would constantly travel the world providing demos and
updates to librarians, so they could be kept informed on how best to
use the resulting CV indexes.

It was still clearly an art to maximize F-measure - one that very
much depended on quality and structure of the CV/classification
scheme/taxonomy, the talents of the indexers applying the CVs in the
annotation process and the talents of the info. retrieval experts/
librarians in constructing queries. By far the most confounding
aspect of this process was the need to alter indexer and searcher
practice, as CV changes were introduced - as was of course inevidible
- both due to changes in the *world* and changes in *knowledge
representation*, as Bijan describes it below.  It was partly because
of this, that various CV curatorial practices were developed that
again are partially represented in SKOS - fields such as "scope
notes", "history notes", etc., which all relate to the versioning
issue in this context, but, of course, are designed for human
consumption and are not particularly useful to KE/KR algorithms.

My sense - as you can see in that OBI Wiki page I cited - is there is
a need to provide such curation support in the ontology development
process both to address the lexical issues as has been historically
done in info. science/library science, as well as to address semantic
graph evolution.  Both of these requirements arise due both to
changes in *world* and QA/QC performed on the KR (changes in
*knowledge*).  My sense is in providing this first simple step - a
shared collection of AnnotationProperties used across the community
when building OWL-based ontologies - we provide the structure
required to develop software tools to help automate the process.
Nothing extending to the complexity of automatic reasoning, but just
something to address the need quickly - a structured model for these
processes, if you will, that can evolve toward the more complex
"referent tracking" and "speech act" formalism.  This stop-gap isn't
nearly enough to fully address this complex issue, but it should be
relatively easy to implement and to put into practice (with a minimal
amount of automated support for ontology curators), and if done
correctly, should be something that can migrate to the more complex
approach later.  Providing too complex a strategy for addressing this
versioning issue now might prohibitively slow the ontology
development process as it is being carried out by various community
biomed. ontology development projects.

As you can tell, this is just a suggestion which OBI, BIRNLex, and a
few other ontology developers have just begun to implement, so this
is most definitely a work-in-progress.

Having a review of the topic, as Vipul suggests, at this stage in the
game by the several folks who've provided valuable pointers and
feedback, would be a wonderful idea, I think.

Cheers,
Bill

On Jan 12, 2007, at 6:26 AM, Kashyap, Vipul wrote:

> Is there any work in the literature related to:
>
> - Defining what and when a version is?
> - Do all updates necessarily lead to a new version?
> - Is there a utility to instance versioning?
>
> The observation about the utility of knowledge base update and
> revision is an
> astute one. IMHO the utility of instance versioning is not clear
> either.
>
> Just my 2 cents,
>
> ---Vipul

Bill Bug