Re: [Fwd: Re: identifier to use]

Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> That's part of the LSID resolution protocol. It's what the HTTP proxy
> does under the hood.
>
> I'm assuming you aren't suggesting that you can only be an LSID
> assigning authority if you also run a HTTP proxy?

Not everything the spec talks about is required...

> Note that the DOI spec also doesn't define http://dx.doi.org.

 From <http://www.doi.org/handbook_2000/enumeration.html#2.9.2>:

   "Users may resolve DOI names using the URL syntax through the DOI System
proxy server (http://dx.doi.org). A DOI name of the form doi:10.123/456
would be resolved from the address: "http://dx.doi.org/10.123/456". Any
standard browser encountering a DOI name in this form will be able to
resolve it. The use of the proxy server does not interfere with any http
requirements, so DOI names may be used with other http-based mechanisms
such as OpenURL, PURL, parameter passing, etc. The proxy server is
maintained by the IDF and the DOI System community for use by all."