URN namespace ids

On Aug 21, 2007, at 12:11 PM, Eric Jain wrote:

> That's not accidental reuse as cold happen with e.g. urn:bm:ipi:12
> where someone who has never heard of Banff might end up with the
> same identifier for something completely unrelated (e.g. hotels in
> the Bahamas).

There is a registry of URN namespace ids (NIDs). Anyone inventing a
new one would be advised to check for collisions, and then apply to
IANA following documented procedure. Failure to do so is as much a
violation of internet naming rules as invention of a colliding URI
scheme or top-level DNS domain would be.

http://www.w3.org/TR/uri-clarification/
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2611.txt
http://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-namespaces
(I know I've seen an unofficial list of NIDs - including numerous
unregistered NIDs - but can't find it now)

Oddly, urn:lsid: is not registered with IANA.

Jonathan