Re: [personal] proposal for standard NCBI database URI

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 00:00 -0400, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> 3. This proposal is not meant to oppose using LSIDs. However, I will
> note that there doesn't seem to be a working combination of a)
> specification of what these look like for NCBI, and b) a working
> resolver for the few examples I've seen[*]. Thus implementing LSIDs
> will require work = delay.

I think a group like this might be in a position to put a bit of "oomph"
into convincing NCBI to do this, if they are listening... :-)

We could, independently of them, implement LSID's as an identifier-only
system just as easily as any other type of URI; what we cannot easily
implement is the resolver, since that has to exist within their domain.
Nevertheless, since your proposal in this message was to build URIs
(URLs) that cannot resolve, I would favour using LSIDs as identifiers
since it is less ad hoc...

Just my CAD$0.02

Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI in Bioinformatics, iCAPTURE Centre
St. Paul's Hospital, Rm. 166, 1081 Burrard St.
Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6
tel: 604 682 2344 x62129
fax: 604 806 9274

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future