RE: Ontology editor + why RDF?

From: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:49:46 -0500
To: <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
 [Vipul] If we take a relational table, an XML schema or a thesaurus and
just move it over to RDF as-it-is, then we haven't added "new" semantics to
the information. all we have is the original information in the relational
table/XML/thesaurus now  preresented in RDF..

A straight-foward "porting" is always wrong, or lack of the comprehension of
difference between RDF and other exiting technologies.  RDB and XML schema
contains implicit semantics that should be explicitly expressed in RDF.

Even so, why does it have to have new semantics?  The first thing first is
to ground "things" on to the web.  Connecting a URI with another is as easy
as it gets, the same can not be said about connecting a particular row of
one DB to another.  The added value is not "all" about semantics, it is
interoperability.

Xiaoshu