Re: [BioRDF] RDF query languages

From: Seaborne, Andy <andy.seaborne@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 14:01:05 +0000
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

Xiaoshu Wang wrote:
>>> Of course, the best bet would likely be to go with
>> SPARQL[1], the RDF
>>> Query Language defined by the W3C RDF Data Access Working Group
>>> (DAWG)[2].
>>> The DAWG produces specifications for both the query language and a
>>> protocol to issue queries and receive results (either as an
>> RDF graph
>>> or as an XML representation of a result set).
>> +1
>>
>> http://esw.w3.org/topic/DawgShows additionally might be of
>> use to some interested in learning more about SPARQL.
>
> +1.
>
> I didn't know the XQuery in depth.  But my intuiation is that it must be
> designed to query against the semantics of XML, which by specification only
> specifies the semantics of document structure. But the same set of
> information can be represented in multiple ways with RDF/XML.  Thus, any
> attempt to derive the RDF semantics by querying the structure of a document
> runs the risk of miss-"interpretation" or misinterpretation because the
> required another level of indirection is not standardized.  GRDDL can work
> because it is the same person who will authorize the HTML page and XSLT
> transformation sheet.  The same cannot be said with any RDF document.
> Design an RDF-aware application based on XQuery will not be portable to
> other knowledge platform.  In addition, what if the RDF model is encoded in
> language of non-RDF/XML, for instance the Notation-3 family?
>
> My point is, as always, use the right tool to do the right thing.  Don't
> heck unless there is no other way around.
>
> Xiaoshu

I translated the queries from

   http://www.isb-sib.ch/~ejain/expasy4j-webng/query.html#examples

into SPARQL:

   http://esw.w3.org/topic/LifeSciencesQueries/SPARQL

Notes:

- Example 4 uses COUNT which isnít in SPARQL.
- It appears that ex9 has no answers on the 10e6 triple 7.0a UniProt extract
- Similarly, none of the queries have any results on the 1e6 triple 7.0a
extract if I have prepared the data correctly.

	Andy