Re: [BioRDF] Meeting Notes Feb 27, 2006

Tom Stambaugh wrote:
> It seems to me that RDF helps us describe and model the structure of our
> data. In my view, we'll then *use* this RDF-derived description and model to
> build relational databases that hold said data. In this worldview, the
> existence of the RDF description then helps us keep the dynamic models --
> written in Java, Python or whatever -- in synch with the underlying
> relational descriptions, kept in relational DB's like MySql and Oracle.

So RDF = UML 4.0? :-)

But beware the "impedance mismatch"...

I have to admit that most of the code I work with is still "static". This
is inefficient, especially if your data model has some complexity and
changes frequently, but generic data models can be rather difficult to work
with (even if there is generated code to ease the pain). Nevertheless I
hope to gradually replace code that is tied to the data model with generic
code, especially for lower-level infrastructure such as database storage,
querying, serialization etc.