Re: scientific publishing task force update

The range of upper ontology reflects the different philosophical
viewpoints on the nature of what exists in the world. Different upper
ontologies make different distinctions. Most of the upper ontologies
have a great deal in common, but different philosophies make
different distinction and even given the same distinctions different labels.

One small, but significant, dislike of the bio-ontology community for
SUMO (as used by Solditova and King) is that it isn't really only an
upper level. It strays into, for instance, stating a protein is a
foodstuff. this, as you might suppose, causes biologists to laugh.

Robert.