Re: BioRDF [Telcon]: slides for the UMLS presentation

Daniel,

if I remember correctly, you have a Protege version of the
Foundational Model of Anatomy.

Was this in Frames or OWL format?

Did it include the NeuroNames integration with FMA (NeuroFMA)?

It's still unclear to me whether NeuroFMA is still active as a
project, and how this would align to the work Doug Bowden's group is
doing with Jack Park at SRI to express NeuroNames in TopicMap (XTM)
format.

You are directly associated with the RSNA RadLex effort as well,
correct - so would you be a good contact for questions/comments on
use of the Neuroradiological domain of RadLex for semantic web
applications or should those go directly to the RadLex NeuroRadiology
chairperson, Adam E. Flanders (adam.flanders@jefferson.edu)?

I seem to remember some discussion of these issues in one of the BIRN
Ontology Task Force calls.

Cheers,
Bill

On Jun 6, 2006, at 9:15 PM, Daniel Rubin wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
>> There is definitely a need for an open source, RDF/OWL version of
>> NeuroNames (and the neuroanatomical portion of RadLex for that matter
>> - http://www.rsna.org/RadLex/ - if you are interested in human,
>> radiological imaging of the brain).
>
> If someone takes it upon themselves to create this, we within NCBO
> will be very happy to host it in OBO, and possibly even in OBO
> foundry.
>
>> As far as the licensing goes, Doug realizes this is a thorny issue.
>> The initial license was merely put in place to avoid others
>> downloading this highly curated knowledge resource, modifying it,
>> then repackaging it as "NeuroNames."  As I mentioned, this was not a
>> paranoid fear.  The license was imposed in response to someone
>> actually having done this with NN.  Knowledge resources like this -
>> even when they are just terminologies - require careful curation, and
>> uncontrolled dissemination and modification can ultimately degrade
>> the usefulness of the resource.
>>
>> Of course, closed, proprietary licensing can also degrade its
>> usefulness, so there is a delicate balance that must be struck.
>>
>> This is an issue I believe NCBO can help us all to resolve.  They
>> won't have all the answers, but may be able to sponsor a means to
>> derive an effective solution to this problem.
>
> This may well be an issue with which our Center can help, by
> housing and distributing the versions of NeuroNames authorized by
> the community that develops it. Preserving the integrity of
> ontologies developed by the community could be challenging, but at
> least NCBO could host the versions that the developers approve.  We
> will also be providing means for the community to discuss ontology
> contents, request and track revisions, and view different version
> of ontologies.
> Daniel

Bill Bug
Senior Analyst/Ontological Engineer

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine
2900 Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA    19129
215 991 8430 (ph)
610 457 0443 (mobile)
215 843 9367 (fax)

This email and any accompany attachments are confidential. This information is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email communication by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning this message to the sender and delete all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.