Re: MGED/FuGO. was: Re: BioRDF [Telcon]: slides for the UMLS presentation

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 10:54 -0400, kei cheung wrote:
> Hi Michael et al,
>
> Is there a converter available which can take existing datasets in
> mage-ml format and convert them into mged-owl format?

These are two different things.  An MAGE-ML dataset describes gene
chips, hybridizations to them (e.g. single measurements), and
experiments (e.g. collections of hybridizations in different
conditions).  The MGED ontology (now in OWL!) is used to specify values
in several fields of an MAGE-ML record describing aspects of the chips,
hybridizations and experiments.  There is not (to my knowledge) an OWL
way of expressing all of the information in an MGED-ML record.  For
example, spot intensities are just floats and sequences are just
strings.  Moving to a completely OWL-specified record what I was
suggesting might be something the MGED consortium could be interested in
taking on (or at least helping with).

Larry