OpenWFE - other workflow formalisms and engines

Hi All,

I must say, I really like the looks of OpenWFE.  It certainly is a
worthy alternative to Taverna and Kepler - though each provide
specific advantages and disadvantages.  I endorse Joanne's request
for some guidance on what the pros & cons are here.

One question worth asking in this context is which best supports the
use of semantic web tech as a means of using formal semantic
knowledge to navigate decision trees and modify run-time algorithmic
parameters in the workflow?

I really have no idea myself, but I'd expect there are others on this
list who could answer that question in some detail.

There are a few other workflow formalisms in use in the world beyond
life sciences that can be useful to be aware of.

Some of these may in fact underlie OpenWFE and Taverna.  I've not had
the chance to dig into this yet, either, but I'm certain there are
others on this list who can tell us.

Some may also not have survived the e-business process debates of
several years back - or the more recent re-orientation toward SOA,
though I do believe most of these are in use in fairly large
application spaces.

Web Services Flow Language (WSFL)
http://xml.coverpages.org/wsfl.html

Business Process Execution Language for Web Services (BPEL4WS)
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/specification/ws-bpel/

or it's more recent SOA-informed decendent - WS-BPEL 2.0
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/specification/ws-
bpelsubproc/

GRID Services Flow Language (GSFL) - built on OGSA and, therefore,
quite compatible with the Globus libraries
http://www-unix.globus.org/cog/projects/workflow/

e-Business Process ML (ebPML)
http://www.ebpml.org/

On the BIRN project, we've been using workflow engines to help
leverage GRID resources for high-throughput, large-scale brain image
data processing tasks - e.g.,:

Condor
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/

Kepler
http://kepler-project.org/

(see also Kepler's parent project - Ptolemy)
http://ptolemy.berkeley.edu/

There are also the two following community sites worth checking out,
though they have a distinct bent toward the commercial sector:

The Workflow Management Coalition (WfMC)
http://www.wfmc.org/

Workflow Management Systems yellow pages
http://www.ifs.uni-linz.ac.at/ifs/staff/kramler/wfms.html

Cheers,
Bill

On Jul 18, 2006, at 1:39 PM, jluciano@predmed.com wrote:

> Hi Chimezie,
>
> Thanks for sending the information about OpenWFE.  Do you know how
> OpenWFE compares to Taverna?  I've been using Taverna (just a
> little) so far for some exploratory work in Diabetes.
>
> Joanne

Bill Bug
Senior Analyst/Ontological Engineer

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine
2900 Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA    19129
215 991 8430 (ph)
610 457 0443 (mobile)
215 843 9367 (fax)

This email and any accompanying attachments are confidential.
This information is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of this email communication by others is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us
immediately by returning this message to the sender and delete
all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.