Re: Antwort: RE: Semantic web article in Nature Biotechnology

Hi Wafik,

One beauty of SW is that the "over-arching layer" doesn't really need to
know any details about the sub-domain ontologies.  This is the classic
contrast between XML and RDF: XML data is tree-structured, while RDF data
is structured as a DAG.  If you combine two different DAGs, the result is
still a DAG.  But if you combine two trees, the result is not necessarily
a tree: if you join on the leaves, you end up with a structure with two
roots.  To turn this into a tree again, you have to go through "XML hell"
and rebuild the whole structure.

The more subtle beauty of SW is that it helps foster over-arching layers
that aren't big and cumbersome.  If data aggregation is difficult, then
data tends to be kept in "monster tables": full of every quantity you
might want, and several you didn't. Except, there's always something else
that want, so you end up joining with another monster table to get it.
The result: a real monster.  And worse, the data may be inconsistent or
outdated, because when data aggregation is difficult, it tends to be done
infrequently, with the results kept for a long time.  SW helps avoid this
through a framework flexible enough to contain combined ontologies (RDF),
and mechanisms such as LSIDs to serve as unique global identifiers.  So it
becomes easier for us to keep the data distributed, and in small,
lightweight ontologies that we can combine when we need.

Cheers,

Melissa