From: Tim Berners-Lee [mailto:timbl@w3.org]
Sent: Thu 3/10/2005 9:28 AM
To: Neumann, Eric PH/US
Cc: wilbanks@creativecommons.org; eric@w3.org; em@w3.org; swick@w3.org
Subject: Re: URIs and URNs : simple resolution?

Yes, you certianly can do this.
You'd probably strip off the 'urn:lsid:'

One way is to say that these urns are defined to be equivalent to the
given http URLs.
Another way is to say that you are offering a persistent lookup service
at the http server.

For example, you will find in W3C archived list email messages a header
like

which indicates that the mail can be retrieved with that HTTP url.
However, inside
it you'll see that that HTTP URL is only the message identifier
expressed as a URI  (mid:)
and then mapped into an HTTp by the mid: being replaced by
http://www.w3.org/mid/

The HTTP server runs a lookup srvice for the MIDs of any email which
have been though the
W3C system.

---- End of Message ------------

>From his response it is quite clear that a handler URL (by an authority or any other third party) can have the full or prefix-cleaned LSID appended to it (like in the mid: case), and when this new URL is HTTP called, a web-service can handle the resolution directly. All that is needed is for any client or server software to treat LSIDs specially (if someone request for what data and metadata is known about it) creating this new URL/URI with a specified handler URL, and the data or metadata would be returned.

The key point stated by both Eric J and Sean is that the LSID IS A URI, and so is ALWAYS treated as a unique RDF node in a graph. That is a very critical point to be maintained. You do not get this guarentee from using any internal ID, only if the RDF node is unique through the URI.

Beyond that issue, LSID resolution can be done either through internal resolvers, or as Tim says by pointing to and calling external/public resolvers (handlers). The community must decide what are the best practices to adopt, and then we need to agree to follow them.

Eric