Use of LSIDs in RDF

From: Greg Tyrelle <greg@tyrelle.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:45:51 +1000
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

Hello,

I'm new to this list so forgive me if this is not the right forum to
discuss these issues, nonetheless...

The Life Science Identifier (LIDS) proposal [1] addresses the need for
persistent and  unique identifiers  for biological resources.  While a
solution for this is needed, I am wondering whether the use of URNs as
defined by the LSID spec is appropriate for the semantic web ?

For example, I have some expectation that URIs in RDF can be dereferenced
to provide either a description of the resource or the resource itself
from the Internet [2]. At present HTTP URIs are the best game in town for
this. So why is LSID proposing URNs as a solution ?

The main reason against using HTTP URIs is persistence and the separation
of a name and network location [3], according to the spec, but maintaining
persistence is largely an organizational (social issue) [4].

But for the moment let's just say that URNs are more persistent. The LSID
spec provides a resolution scheme, here is an outline:

1. HTTP URIs are not persistent

2. Invent a new naming scheme LSID

3. Invent new infrastructure for dereferencing LSID (DDDS)

4. Deploy new infrastructure

5. Dereferencing a LSID results in a HTTP URI

Which brings me to my question, why not just use persistent HTTP URIs
in the first place ?

_greg

[1] http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?lifesci/2003-01-06
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/webarch/#identification