Re: [presentation-api] Rethinking availability monitoring

From: Mark Foltz via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 20:31:17 +0000
To: public-secondscreen@w3.org
Rather than add a `cancel` method we could write the
`AvailabilityListener` API as follows:

```
partial interface NavigatorPresentation {
  AvailabilityListener listenForAvailability(/*DOMString
presentationUrl,
      params*/);
}

interface AvailabilityListener : EventTarget {
  Promise<boolean> getAvailability();
  attribute EventHandler onavailablechange;
}
```

The UA would not run discovery if:

* there were no handlers on `onavailablechange`
* there was no unresolved `Promise` from `getAvailability`

Even if there were listeners, the UA could also suspend discovery if
there was no opportunity to start presentation (i.e., screen was off,
tab was in the background, etc.) as a power optimization.

I would like to understand the role of the `presentationUrl` and
`params` in the API; @avayvod, they were part of your original
proposal.

--
GitHub Notif of comment by mfoltzgoogle