Re: Telcon on Tech Trends coordination (SDWIG ACTION-391)


This message records the outcomes of the August 14th Telcon on Tech Trends coordination.
-  Recording and Transcript of the telecon 
- Notes recorded by me during the telecon are listed below
- Email exchange with Rob Smith after he viewed the recording is listed below 

Next Steps:
 • George to update trends based on comments and email from Josh after the telecon. 
 • George and Gobe to work with Joe on permissions and forking.
 • Schedule a future coordination telecon: perhaps in October - before TPAC

Thanks for all the great input for coordination,


OGC Tech Trends process
Quick reminder of the process and current state overall
Tech Trends public page draft: <>
Chris/Jermey: Conflation of OGC Tech Trends and W3C SDW Funnel may result in confusion
Continue in parallel and coordinate - keep each other informed.  See what is happening and coordinate.
Michael: define relatively informal process for coordination
Make it selectable text and make the links clickable.
George: add horizons discussion to website: "next and after-next"
Tech Trends on GitHub including how to comment
Based on SDWIG discussion in Ft Collins we have revised the process for comments.
Each Trend has a link to an Issues page.  Public comments are invited as issues; moderation of issues will result in updates to Trends.
"Spatial data on the web” category of tech trends
Currently 6 issues listed in this category: <>
Graphic trends as probability vs. consequence.
Chris comment
Periodic table in addition to Mindmap
example trend: "Web Scale Programming" trend
Trend description: <>
Issue for Trend: <>
Comments trends
Linked Data 
Linda:  Change to “Web of Data” not necessarily linked to RDF.
See the first 3 Best Practices of SDW BPs
Linda would draft a trend description - Please
Josh: browser ability to do spatial temporal alignment, e.g, MapML
Joe - native browser support?  Josh Yes
Chris:  Blair McIntyre Mozilla - Browser knows where its at.
Michael: how deeply spatial data is embedded in the web, vs. need for special tools beyond browser.  Basic native support for spatial.  
Context setting based on location beyond visual
location in html and http have been discussed but not solidified.
W3C geoloc  - use cases that may be of relevance to SDW
Lightweight encodings 
JSON is now.  What is Next and after Next?
[opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends] Update chapter-05.adoc (#91)
Pull Request from Linda
Other topics as desired
Spatial data on the Web Roadmap <>
W3C Roadmap is now and next.  Is existing standards development <>
Josh: how to do spatial dimensions on the web
Some the questions raised in CoverageJSON are more fundamental
Data cubes and other frameworks are needed.
Is there a need for Coverage (mapping of domain to range) to be represented in the Web technology.
Josh to write this up as a new trend. <>
Anyone can do a Fork and then a Pull Request
need to confirm this works with Joe who has pull request
Should Text Analytics be revised to be more about Web technologies or should it be moved to another Meta Trend?
Francois: could be affected by edge computing
Michael: may be related to <>
Next steps
post notes
ACTONs as recorded to edit trends.
October - before TPAC

Attending - may not be complete
George Percivall
Mark Hedley
Scott Simmons
Michael Gordon
Ingo Simonis
Peter Parslow
Josh Lieberman
Francois Daoust
Joe Abhayaratna
Chris Little
Amy Youmans
> From: Rob Smith < <>>
> Subject: Re: OGC Tech-Trends teleconf (14-August): regrets
> Date: August 15, 2018 at 5:41:28 AM PDT
> To: George Percivall < <>>
> George,
> Apologies again. I’m annoyed with myself for missing this, but thank you for the recording link to which I’ve now listened.
> I have a couple of comments.
> 1. Mapping SDW projects to OGC Tech Trends would provide concrete examples of activity in that area. This could be done quite simply and included as part of the SDW project process by identifying which OGC trends are relevant and providing a one-line explanation. As I'm the WebVMT project lead, I’ll use that as an example.
> a. Linked Data: rapid location indexing of video archives.
> b. APIs for the Web: interoperability of location-aware video footage, e.g. dashcams, with map presentation.
> c. Crowdsourcing: enabler for video capture with location on smartphones by the public.
> d. UAVs & Drones: sharing and indexing video/sensor data for moving/static platforms in a common format on the web, e.g. YouTube.
> Highlighting high-level applications could aid better understanding and categorisation of new concepts, which may not be immediately obvious otherwise.
> 2. I think it’s important to clarify whether ‘now’, ‘next’ and 'after next' refer to implementation or standardisation, as these timescales could differ significantly. From a WebVMT perspective, my feeling is that W3C ‘incubation’ relates to the ‘next’ implementation, but ‘after next’ standardisation, though both are useful metrics. It should also be noted that the W3C Strategy Funnel ends with ‘chartering’ and precedes the first step of standardisation, which requires a W3C Working Group to be formed.
> I hope my comments prove useful, and please let me know if you have any questions.
> Rob Smith
> Away Team
> <>

> On Jul 10, 2018, at 5:12 PM, George Percivall <> wrote:
> Update on SDWIG ACTION-391
> - Schedule a telecon:  done 
>  Done based on the doodle poll  - Aug 14 Tue, 11:00 AM EDT   
>  Global Time: <>
>  GTM Logistics below - <>
>  Topics for the telecon are listed below.
>  Another announcement of the telecon will be made closer to August 14th.
>  A calendar invite is sent separately
> - Working with Joe
>  Joe, the chosen poll time was not one you could make.  How about you and I set up a time to talk?
>  Just reply to me directly and we can set a date and time.
>  Gobe and I have been modifying the Tech Trends GitHub repository
> <>
>  Now each Trend has a link to an Issue.  
>  That allows for a robust discussion as an Issue and then a moderated decision on how to update the trend.
> - Inviting comments from all on the Branch
>  Similar to my comments to Joe, all are invited to comment on the Spatial Data on the Web group of Trends
> <>
>  For each Trend there is an GitHub Issue link where you can make comments.
> Regards,
> George
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> 1. Please join my meeting, Tue Aug 14th 11:00 AM EDT.
> <>
> 2. Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended. Or, call in using your telephone.
> IE: +353 15 360 728
> DE: +49 692 5736 7317
> AU: +61 2 9087 3604
> NL: +31 207 941 377
> US: +1 (646) 749-3129
> FI: +358 923 17 0568
> BE: +32 28 93 7018
> ES: +34 932 75 2004
> NZ: +64 9 280 6302
> CA: +1 (647) 497-9391
> GB: +44 330 221 0088
> AT: +43 7 2081 5427
> FR: +33 170 950 594
> NO: +47 21 93 37 51
> SE: +46 775 757 474
> DK: +45 43 31 47 82
> CH: +41 225 4599 78
> IT: +39 0 230 57 81 42
> Access Code: 298-545-893  Audio PIN will be displayed upon joining the web session.
>> On Jul 6, 2018, at 9:52 AM, Joseph Abhayaratna < <>> wrote:
>> Hi Jeremy,
>> I wasn’t able to push the branch back to the Technology Trends repository. I just tried again with no luck, so its not for lack of trying that I haven’t met my commitments ;)
>> George, could you check this out? Otherwise, I can email you the changed file (minor changes), and the commit message(s).
>> I intend to create a pull request for the branch of implementation reports in the SDWIG repository this weekend (containing one from Clemens and one from Linda, as well as my own). I currently have a placeholder for these in the LinkedData.adoc Ripe Trend, so perhaps I’ll update the Tech Trend with a proper reference to it before creating a pull request for the Tech Trend doc.
>> Cheers,
>> Joseph Abhayaratna
>> Chief Technical Officer
>> PSMA Australia Limited
>> Unit 6, 113 Canberra Avenue
>> Griffith ACT 2603
>> T: +61 (0) 2 6260 9042
>> M: +61 (0) 488 301 050
>> F: +61 (0) 2 6260 9001
>> Twitter: @Jo_PSMA
>> E: <>
>> <>
>>> On 6 Jul 2018, at 11:26 pm, Jeremy Tandy < <>> wrote:
>>> @Joseph - did you manage to submit some stuff about Linked Data to George / Gobe? My notes from the F2F meeting say that you promised to :-)
>>> On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 at 14:02, Jeremy Tandy < <>> wrote:
>>> Hi George - thanks for setting up the Doodle Poll. Do you anticipate having a draft of the restructured `chapter-05.adoc` [1] available for discussion / review ahead of the telecon?
>>> My notes from the SDW-IG F2F say:
>>> ```
>>> ACTION (George Percival)
>>> - make proposals for the SDW branch of the mind map
>>> - “Iterate the AsciiDoc” for Chapt 5 of the Technology Trends
>>> - Consider how to link the geospatial items in the W3C Strategy Funnel and SDW-IG Projects ... and whether they should all appear as a leaf-node in the TT mindmap.
>>> ```
>>> Many thanks! Jeremy
>>> [1]: <>
>>> On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 at 22:04, George Percivall < <>> wrote:
>>> During the SDWIG F2F in Fort Collins, we discussed coordination of the SDWIG funnel with the OGC technology forecasting activity.  I accepted the action to arrange a telecon to advance the discussion.  
>>> If you are interested in contributing to the telecon, please complete this poll: <> 
>>> Topic for discussion in the telecon: 
>>> - The SDWIG funnel and the OGC Tech Trends have related but differing purposes.  Both activities aim to identify opportunities of emerging technology that might be related to development of geospatial innovation through standards.  The Tech Trends is focused on “after next” with the OGC SP and IP taking action on “now” and “next” topics.  The SDWIG may include all horizons.  
>>> - Specific topics may be discussed such as MapML and WebVMT
>>> - The OGC technology forecasting includes a topic about Spatial Data on the Web.  This telecon will consider SDWIG recommended changes to that branch on the tech trends mindmap.  Other trends listed on the mindmap will also be considered. 
>>> <> 
>>> - The SDWIG is developing a Geospatial Roadmap of features, standards, and developments in Web-friendly geospatial capabilities. The evolving criteria for including OGC developments and placing them along the Roadmap could be useful feedback, particularly for OWS Evolution. (This is also an OAB issue)
>>> Regards,
>>> George
>>> > On Jun 5, 2018, at 4:37 PM, Spatial Data on the Web Working Group Issue Tracker < <>> wrote:
>>> > 
>>> > ACTION-391: Arrange telcon and send out details (Spatial Data on the Web Working Group)
>>> > 
>>> > <>
>>> > 
>>> > On: George Percivall
>>> > Due: 2018-06-12
>>> > 
>>> > If you do not want to be notified on new action items for this group, please update your settings at:
>>> > <>
>>> > 

Received on Monday, 20 August 2018 15:33:02 UTC