Re: Proposed working practices for SDW-IG - no more regular teleconferences

Hi Simon -

Good clarification question!

WebVMT along with MapML, CityJSON and Linked Building Data are being
handled via the W3C Strategy Funnel (with the “geospatial” tag) [1]

Each one of these “proposals” has an issue associated with it (e.g. WebVMT
is #113 [2]) where we can capture the associated meta-issues and overall
status.

We’re tracking these in the “funnel” because we expect these proposals to
eventually emerge into a full-blown standards activity in W3C and/or OGC.

The actual _work_ on these proposals are managed as per the preference of
each group. For example, Issues and Milestones etc. for WebVMT are managed
in the w3c/sdw repository (as we’ve been doing for other SDW-IG stuff), but
CityJSON is working elsewhere...

SSN Extentions along with the SDW BP, Statistics on the Web BP and other
activities aren’t included because we expect to publish these as Notes -
and the SDW IG is chartered to be able to publish Notes without having to
charter a new [Standards] WG.

Is this assumption correct for SSN Extensions? If not (and we expect to
publish as a REC) we should create an Issue in the funnel.

But... your question still prompts me that we don’t have an equivalent
mechanism to track the meta-issues and status for these Notes.

So, looking at the options in GitHub, it seems that Projects should work
for us. GitHub Projects says:
- sort tasks
- plan your project
- automate your workflow
- track progress
- share status
- wrap up

Seems like what we’re looking for. The W3C Strategy Funnel is a GitHub
Project, with Cards that map to position in the funnel e.g.
“investigation”, “exploration”, “incubation” etc.

I have created a Project for each of the SDW IG activities that we expect
to publish Notes or where we are tracking errata on previously published
RECs (see below), with default Cards “To do”, “In Progress” and “Done”
based on the “Kanban (Automated)” template. Activity leads should feel free
to customise this to suit their preferred workflow.

I’ve not created a Project for QB4ST or EO-QB ... I don’t think we’re
seeing any progress here for now. We can always create projects later.

One open question is whether we create a Project for “new proposals”? I’m
thinking not, as we have the Funnel for stuff that might end up as a REC
and we can discuss in the mailing list or simply raise a GitHub Issue to
capture the discussion until we collectively agree that we should create a
new Project in w3c/sdw (or not!).

- Spatial Data on the Web Best Practices:
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/1
- Statistical Data on the Web: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/2
- SSN/SOSA ontology amendments: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/3
- SSN Primer: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/4
- Time ontology amendments: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/5
- Describing moving objects: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/6
- SSN extensions: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/7
- Video geotagging format (WebVMT): https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/8
- Geospatial Web Roadmap: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/9

The next step for activity leads is to allocate their open tasks to the
projects and to add some text for the project description.

So Simon - does this meet your needs?

Cheers, Jeremy

[1]:
https://github.com/w3c/strategy/projects/2/?card_filter_query=label%3Ageospatial