[Minutes] SDW IG Chairs and Task leads call - 2018-04-17 (was: RE: Proposed working practices for SDW-IG - no more regular teleconferences)

Talking about the minutes of the call, here they are for reference and archival:

https://www.w3.org/2018/04/17-sdw-minutes.html

Same minutes copied as raw text below.

Thanks,

Francois.

--

SDW IG Telco on Telcos

   [2]IRC log

      [2] https://www.w3.org/2018/04/17-sdw-irc

Attendees

   Present

          Bill Roberts, Francois Daoust, Jeremy Tandy, Linda van

          den Brink, Michael Gordon

   Regrets

   Chair

          -

   Scribe

          tidoust

Contents

     * [3]Meeting Minutes

         1. [4]Do we need regular teleconferences?

         2. [5]F2F meetings

     * [6]Summary of Action Items

Meeting Minutes

   Jeremy: SSN stuff seems to be happening without teleconferences

   already.

   Linda: That seems to be the case indeed. Some activity on

   GitHub

   <jtandy> @brinkwoman says that SSN is working without regular

   teleconferences

   <jtandy> ... perhaps we can learn from how they are operating?

   <jtandy> Two topics: (1) how to operate effectively without

   regular teleconferences

   <jtandy> (2) F2F planning ... Fort Collins OGC TC meeting &

   TPAC 2018

   <jtandy> TPAC 2018 is in Lyon in France...

Do we need regular teleconferences?

   Jeremy: Linda and I are struggling to find a convenient time

   for SDW IG following switch to summer time. No time works for

   US, EU and Australia.

   … If we select a time that is friendly for US, and EU, we may

   lose our Australian friends.

   … If we select a time that is friendly for Australia, we may

   lose others.

   … Throwing some ideas around. Is it plausible to work without

   regular teleconferences?

   … We can always schedule a telco for a specific issue, such as

   this one.

   … Is it possible to do regular work without telcos?

   Bill: I think that's possible. Stats call haven't been well

   attended either. No specific reason, clash with Dataset

   Exchange Working Group is responsible for some of that.

   … We would need to have some effective management activity to

   meet deadlines. The calls are often used a reminders that you

   have actions to perform.

   … Talking to each other from time to time is important. If we

   have fewer phone calls, then F2F become more important.

   … We can have fewer calls as long as we compensate that through

   organization.

   Michael: Overall, I agree.

   … We probably don't need regular teleconferences.

   … For a range of things, we may be able to handle them through

   GitHub issues, using milestones to track progress, and pull

   requests.

   … We could draft something for the group to review.

   … If we have reviewers for pull requests we issue, then that's

   good.

   … If that works out, we can have only occasional telcos.

   Linda: Does GitHub do milestones?

   Jeremy: Yes, it does. You can bundle issues together into a

   milestone. GitHub tells you how many issues still need to be

   addressed for a given milestone.

   Michael: Yes, I've been using that in other projects. We don't

   have a vast amount of issues, but that should be good for us.

   Linda: Michael and I talked about it last week. One thing is

   that we have one GitHub repo for the whole group, and it might

   get crowded if all the activity happens in the same place.

   Jeremy: Do you think that tagging things would help us?

   Linda: Yes, probably that would work.

   Jeremy: Everytime you do an update on GitHub, it sends an email

   to the mailing-list, so that people subscribed to the

   mailing-list see some notification even if they don't follow

   GitHub.

   Linda: But you cannot easily see labels and milestones in these

   emails though.

   Jeremy: Right.

   Michael: Most of the existing issues are tagged. Don't know if

   we feel that's not enough, but they are.

   Jeremy: As leaders of your activities, can you find what you

   need?

   Michael: I can filter down issues related to Best Practices. If

   we end up doing more Pull Requests and issues, the question

   might become whether that's going to be too much, with too much

   noise for people interested in a particular topic.

   … We can continue for now, until we find it's problematic!

   Jeremy: I agree with that.

   Bill: Just to agree with that. Not too many issues for now.

   Should be easy to track down.

   Francois: We can probably improve the notification tool to

   report labels and milestones (provided the GitHub API reports

   them). Weekly digests can replace individual emails if we have

   too many emails.

   Jeremy: [going through Francois' email]

   … Bill says that deadlines help. I agree. I wonder if it's

   worth having 2-3 days scheduled in a month where we try to

   resolve some issues as a collective.

   Linda: That's a good idea.

   Jeremy: It doesn't have to be always the same day.

   … Activity leaders should do a monthly report.

   … Are calls fortnightly or monthly for now?

   Michael: Monthly for the Best Practices

   Bill: Same for Stats

   Jeremy: So we could do a monthly editorial, published on the

   Wiki somewhere, and share with the mailing-list.

   <billroberts> +1

   [General agreement to proceed with suggested idea to write

   monthly editorials down]

   Jeremy: It doesn't require everyone to be around, but if people

   can focus on the group for a couple of days every month, that

   would be excellent

   … I think that we have consensus that we will try and operate

   without regular telcos. On monthly basis, activity leads and

   group chairs will try to do some editorial writing up and focus

   on issues that need attending to.

   <MichaelGordon> +1

   <brinkwoman> +1

   Jeremy: And we'll use GitHub to track things down.

   … If we need an issue specific telcon, we will call one.

   … First of all, one of us needs to write to the group. I don't

   mind taking that action.

   [discussion about who gets to play with that process first,

   probably Stats on the Web]

   Linda: The few days each month, would that be the same days for

   all of us, or different days for different sub-groups?

   Jeremy: Good question, I was sort of imagining that there would

   be a week for plenary, a week for Best Practices, etc.

   … I'm thinking we should try to stick to the same days each

   month.

   Linda: I was thinking that the same days for everyone might be

   useful too, so that we can ping people more easily.

   … Can we chat on GitHub?

   Jeremy: I believe gitter.im could be used

   Linda: OK. I guess there's nothing wrong with IRC.

   Jeremy: do people use other platforms?

   Linda: Slack is one we use.

   Jeremy: OK, we'll look at IM to supplement GitHub. The reason

   I'm looking at a plug-in for GitHub is that it should be easier

   to link discussions with GitHub issues.

   Action: Jeremy to send an email to the SDW IG about new process

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-388 - Send an email to the sdw ig

   about new process [on Jeremy Tandy - due 2018-04-24].

   Action: Linda to review IM tools to supplement GitHub

   discussions

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-389 - Review im tools to supplement

   github discussions [on Linda van den Brink - due 2018-04-24].

   Bill: I would agree with Linda that we should start with

   everyone in the group having the same "SDW days". I think that

   would be more valuable.

   <MichaelGordon> +1

F2F meetings

   Jeremy: Fort Collins' OGC meeting is in June. Do we think that

   2 half-days would be good? Or do you think we need more?

   <jtandy> Topics for F2F: stats, BP, SSN, funnel, roadmap ...

   Linda: Peter Rusthforth already asked me for time slots to

   discuss MapML

   Jeremy: Good. In the Netherlands, we had 1.5 days, and that

   seemed like the right amount of time.

   … There will be a bunch of programs running in parallel. A

   minimum would be 2 half-days slots. And we'll grab the next

   half-day if we can.

   Linda: Would be worth asking Scott for a room for 1.5 days. I

   think they're using the university.

   Jeremy: Do we want consecutive blocks?

   Linda: Either way works for me.

   Jeremy: I'd like to travel on the Monday. It would be pleasant

   for me if we can push for the Tuesday.

   <jtandy> Jeremy would like the F2F to be Tuesday or later

   [Discussions on best day and times]

   <jtandy> Suggest Tuesday PM, Wednesday AM, Wednesday PM ...

   perhaps with gap to accommodate open OAB session??

   <jtandy> +1

   <brinkwoman> +1

   <MichaelGordon> +1

   <billroberts> 0 - I don't think I will be able to come to Fort

   Collins unfortunately

   <jtandy> Try to schedule 1-day of time ... across 1.5 days

   <jtandy> Accommodate overlaps??

   <jtandy> Minimum one day!!

   Bill: I should be able to attend remotely, but not in person.

   Linda: OK, so we can schedule a session on Stats.

   Jeremy: What about TPAC?

   Linda: We are supposed to already tell W3C organization which

   days we want to meet at TPAC.

   [7]https://www.w3.org/2018/10/TPAC/Overview.html

      [7] https://www.w3.org/2018/10/TPAC/Overview.html

   Linda: TPAC is in Lyon, 22-26 October 2018.

   Francois: Best way would be to choose days and tell that we

   want to avoid overlap with the Dataset Exchange Working Group

   Action: Francois to talk with Dave about F2F days of the

   Dataset Exchange Working Group at TPAC

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-390 - Talk with dave about f2f days

   of the dataset exchange working group at tpac [on François

   Daoust - due 2018-04-24].

   Jeremy: back to "SDW days". First week of each month seems

   good.

Summary of Action Items

    1. [8]Jeremy to send an email to the SDW IG about new process

    2. [9]Linda to review IM tools to supplement GitHub

       discussions

    3. [10]Francois to talk with Dave about F2F days of the

       Dataset Exchange Working Group at TPAC