W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sdw-wg@w3.org > May 2017

[minutes CovJSON] 2017-05-10 call

From: Francois Daoust <fd@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 14:18:28 +0200
To: <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <006201d2c987$88028480$98078d80$@w3.org>
Hi all,

The draft minutes of today's CoverageJSON call are available at:
http://www.w3.org/2017/05/10-sdwcov-minutes.html

... and copied as raw text below.

Thanks,
Francois.

--
Spatial Data on the Web Coverage Subgroup Teleconference
10 May 2017

   [2]Agenda [3]IRC log

      [2] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings:Coverage-Telecon20170510
      [3] http://www.w3.org/2017/05/10-sdwcov-irc

Attendees

   Present
          billroberts, Francois, jonblower, Phil, sam_toyer

   Regrets
          Dmitry_Brizhinev

   Chair
          Bill

   Scribe
          Francois

Contents

     * [4]Meeting Minutes
         1. [5]CovJSON
         2. [6]EO-QB
         3. [7]QB4ST
     * [8]Summary of Action Items
     * [9]Summary of Resolutions

Meeting Minutes

   <billroberts> [10]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/
   Patent_Call

     [10] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

   [Bill goes through the Patent Call]

   <billroberts> [11]https://www.w3.org/2017/04/26-sdwcov-minutes

     [11] https://www.w3.org/2017/04/26-sdwcov-minutes

   <billroberts> approve last minutes?

   [No objections to previous minutes]

   <billroberts> +1

   <sam_toyer> +1

   Bill: Main purpose of the meeting is to review remaining
   blockers on our specifications.
   … Objective is to have final versions of everything by the end
   of May.
   … June would be available for the rest of the Working Group to
   give additional comments
   … End of June is when the group is expected to close.
   … So 3 weeks to have everything finished
   … Let's go through the documents one by one.

CovJSON

   Bill: First Public Working Draft of Overview of Coverage JSON
   Format document published yesterday.
   … Now question is: what needs to be added on top of that for
   completion?
   … One open question is whether the actual CoverageJSON
   specification stays external or goes within that specification.
   … The last time we talked about that was at Delft. Jon was not
   around.
   … Jon, want to summarize your views on that?

   Jon: There's been an on-going discussion about whether the Note
   should include the entire CoverageJSON spec.
   … Phil was keen on that, partly because it makes IP
   considerations more transparent.
   … Also for completeness.
   … The reasons why I was reluctant to do that: 1/ The note as it
   stands is reasonably concised and clear to people I hope. The
   specification itself is rather long. That would turn the
   document in a rather longer missive.
   … 2/ we would then end up with 2 copies of the specification.
   The canonical version in GitHub and the version in the Note.
   … They would become out of sync in the future, quite likely.
   … In previous conversations on the subject, Scott Simmons from
   OGC suggested a mechanism which sounded like a good way to
   progress that specification towards a standard in a relatively
   lightweight way.
   … With that in mind, that would end up publishing yet another
   document from that group.
   … Mechanism is called OGC standard incubating program.
   … That seems to be like the right way forward.
   … Now that we've lost Maik, we don't want to be engaged in
   something heavy process-wise.

   Bill: Do you have a feel for how far the CoverageJSON spec is
   final?

   Jon: I'd say around 90%. A couple of issues to address, a
   couple of features that we need to consider.

   Bill: You reckon that the OGC incubating process would be the
   right process.

   Jon: Yes, I think so.
   … The greatest interest in this thing will be more in the OGC
   than in the W3C.
   … Therefore I'm sort of leaning towards that as a mechanism to
   gather more inputs.
   … I also think that in terms of promotion, I would do so in the
   OGC and INSPIRE communities more than in the W3C community.
   … The most reassuring standard for people for me would be an
   OGC standard.

   <Zakim> phila, you wanted to talk about [12]https://
   philarcher1.github.io/sdw/jwoc/

     [12] https://philarcher1.github.io/sdw/jwoc/

   Jon: I hope there's still a way to interest the Web community

   Phil: I started to draft a charter for a JWOC group. One of the
   things that I put in there is CoverageJSON.
   … If you want me to take that out, I will.
   … If you feel that you don't need W3C, then so be it.

   Jon: That's a distortion of what I said, I think.

   Phil: This feels like you're in a group with two SDOs and
   rejecting one.

   Bill: JWOC is new, it would be good to get a bit more of
   context as to where it comes from. Based on discussions we had,
   it's not in any way a rejection of W3C.

   Phil: I think it's a domain working group in OGC. It's an
   Interest Group in W3C. It cannot publish standards but it can
   publish Notes.
   … That would give you a way to carry on in both SDOs up to the
   Note level.
   … And then if you need more formalization, we can create a
   Working Group to publish that as a standard.
   … That joint approach sounds to me very useful.
   … It can go to stable notes under both organizations. If the
   group gets created, we can take the CoverageJSON document
   further along.

   Jon: OK, I was not aware of this. I will consider it. I was not
   trying to reject W3C at all, just reflecting on the fact that
   the community that shows the most interest is around OGC for
   now.
   … We have limited funds to work on this project as well.
   … This joint group certainly looks interesting. I will
   appreciate a chat with Scott as well.

   Phil: Do you foresee a time in the future where it will be
   ready for standardisation?
   … Maybe a year or two.

   Jon: I hope so. It depends on finding resources as well.
   … I do have wider interest of course, but it's tough to get
   involved in all the different strands of the group. Having a
   focus is important for us.

   Phil: The charter I drafted so far mainly takes the work from
   the SDW WG.

   Jon: And we need to look at crossover between CoverageJSON,
   EO-QB and QB4ST, so it's good to have them under the same
   group.
   … At the same time, it means investing more time, which I
   cannot easily do.

   Bill: The JWOC would be opened to any OGC and W3C organization
   as in the Spatial Data on the Web WG?

   Phil: Yes, rules would be the same.
   … I'm hoping that, by the end of next month, there will be a
   press release about achievements so far.
   … About future collaboration, I talk to Denise. For actual
   standards, Scott is the right person.

   Jon: Maybe I should take an action to get in touch with Scott
   to discuss this group and the right way forward for
   CoverageJSON.

   Bill: Please do that, Jon.
   … The JWOC seems to offer the best of both worlds.
   … It provides access to OGC, with W3C on top.

   Action: blower to talk to Scott about future of CoverageJSON,
   perhaps in spec incubation WG; cf. JWOC etc.

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-358 - Talk to scott about future of
   coveragejson, perhaps in spec incubation wg; cf. jwoc etc. [on
   Jon Blower - due 2017-05-17].

   Jon: One thing I'll be looking at is to get OGC interest in
   some of these discussions. There's a process involved to join
   the group, no matter how lightweight.
   … Just trying to get the whole community engaged with as low a
   barrier as possible.

   Bill: It may be the case for Denise and Scott to explain the
   benefits of this group.

   Jon: Right, just to drop all barriers for a time-limited
   community to be easily engaged.

   <phila> phila: Yep, sounds right, Bill

   Bill: Back to the Note that we will publish in the group, it
   would be good to decide by end of May what next steps we
   envision so that we can explain it in the Introduction.
   … "If we're saying that specification is still evolving, here
   is the planned route".

   Phil: I'm not sure we'll know about the JWOC by then, but
   that's the right approach otherwise.

   Bill: In the document, there are a couple of issues that
   remain. Adding references I'm happy to take a look at.

   Action: Bill to add references to CoverageJSON document

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-359 - Add references to coveragejson
   document [on Bill Roberts - due 2017-05-17].

   Bill: The question of illustrations

   Jon: I think I'm the one who raised that question. I can take
   that action to run that off.
   … I note also a new section about Relationship to Best
   Practices

   Bill: Yes, it's been added next to the F2F in Delft.
   … I will look into it. I was waiting for the Best Practices
   document to become more stable.

   Jon: If you're able to do a first pass, that's great, I can
   review that afterwards.

   Bill: And then there's issue 101 that remains.

   Jon: On me. I had ambitions that may not be easy to meet with
   current time constraints, but I'll do something.
   … One bit of the document which is probably more relevant to
   the rest of the group is section 3.6
   … about converting CoverageJSON to RDF
   … If people could review and comment that section, I think that
   would be good.

   Bill: It might be worth sending a quick email to the
   mailing-list

   Action: Jon to seek feedback from the group about section 3.6
   after next series of edits

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-360 - Seek feedback from the group
   about section 3.6 after next series of edits [on Jon Blower -
   due 2017-05-17].

EO-QB

   <sam_toyer> [13]https://anu-linked-earth-data.github.io/sdw/
   eo-qb/

     [13] https://anu-linked-earth-data.github.io/sdw/eo-qb/

   Sam: It's almost finished

   <sam_toyer> [14]https://github.com/w3c/sdw/pull/742

     [14] https://github.com/w3c/sdw/pull/742

   Sam: A bit of tidy up may need to be done, for instance if SSN
   changes some names
   … Also a question on timestamp vs. duration

   phil: Is there a dependency on Kerry? Is it possible to make
   progress without Kerry?

   Sam: Yes to both questions.
   … The first thing we can resolve now is around the SSN prefix.

   Phil: I know that she wanted to do some stuff on EO-QB. Not
   sure if she managed to do that before going offline.

   Bill: Among the rest of the group, we should be able to gather
   feedback on most of these things
   … Sam, if you cannot think of the right person to ask, please
   come back to the group.

   Sam: I'm sure we'll be able to find someone who can answer
   these questions, typically Armin for SSN questions.

   Bill: Anyway, nice work, seems on schedule.

   Action: Sam to address all the remaining issues about EO-QB in
   next pull request

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-361 - Address all the remaining
   issues about eo-qb in next pull request [on Sam Toyer - due
   2017-05-17].

QB4ST

   Bill: That's essentially Rob's work.
   … The main thing outstanding on that is to produce an example.
   … Typically from the CoverageJSON material, to see if I can
   express that.
   … Will follow up with Rob offline

   Francois: Note pending pull request

   [15]https://github.com/w3c/sdw/pull/696

     [15] https://github.com/w3c/sdw/pull/696

   Francois: Now merged. Also, reading the document, I note that
   there is no clear distinction between parts that define
   concepts and parts that use them in examples. I will submit a
   pull request to improve this.

   Bill: OK.
   … The document should be on track to be finished by end of May.

   Jon: Side note that Chris Little made a lot of useful comments
   to improve the FPWD of the CovJSON document. I will integrate
   them.

   <billroberts> bye!

Summary of Action Items

    1. [16]blower to talk to Scott about future of CoverageJSON,
       perhaps in spec incubation WG; cf. JWOC etc.
    2. [17]Bill to add references to CoverageJSON document
    3. [18]Jon to seek feedback from the group about section 3.6
       after next series of edits
    4. [19]Sam to address all the remaining issues about EO-QB in
       next pull request

Summary of Resolutions
Received on Wednesday, 10 May 2017 12:18:40 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 10 May 2017 12:18:41 UTC