Re: CRS best practices: Google Geocoding API [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: Andy Mabbett <andy@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 20:13:36 +0100
To: SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
On 28 March 2017 at 18:02, Jeremy Tandy <jeremy.tandy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dealing with non-geographic coordinates (especially on other planetary
> bodies)

At the risk of seeming picky, Wikipedia has an article called
"Geography of Mars":

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Mars

and others, not least NASA, use the term "Lunar geography".

It would be best to avoid such ambiguity in whatever is published -
perhaps "terrestrial coordinates" may suit?

> (1) it would be easy to add a comment in BP3 indicating that when publishing
> data about other planets _of course_ WGS84 isn’t appropriate

Thank you, yes.

> (but we wouldn’t go into details as to what _is_ appropriate),

Perhaps simply say that the CRS "SHOULD" (in the  RFC 2119 sense of
the word) be specified?

> and (2) many of the best practices are still relevant.

Indeed.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing