Re: Implementation evidence - Producers

> I had a quick chat with Phil Archer on these issues recently, and he
> suggested that there is value in having two different efforts at least
> share broadly the same approach to the main entities and
> relationships, even if the type and property names differ. At
> Schema.org our current interest in sensors is more from the "internet
> of things" angle than from a "Spatial data on the Web" agenda,
> although clearly there are strong overlaps. We're also trying to
> figure out how to bridge to things like QUDT and Data Cube, so it's
> unlikely we'd adopt all of SOSA wholesale.

I do not know any details of your roadmap but I am a bit more
optimistic. SOSA also focuses on the Internet Of Things and is by far
not SDW specific (in the sense that you can make observations about any
topic but all of them are, of course, in space-time). Our examples range
from smart homes to measures of water quality by government agencies.
SOSA is the simplest model that (somewhat) completely captures the
observation process we were able to come up with and agree on. I would
not expect that schema.org has interest in all the SOSA classes and
properties but I strongly believe that there will be a common (and
alignable) core. After all, there is no way around talking about
sensors, observations, the observed properties, and the things being
observed. It would be fantastic if schema.org would reuse some of our
work, but most importantly both should be alignable to foster
interoperability. The only scenario, I would hope is preventable would
indeed be two parallel approaches. This would also undermine the entire
point of having a consensus-based standard in the first place. IMHO,
seeing a wide adoption of such a joint OGC/W3C standard is not only
important for publishing, retrieval, and reuse of observations on the
Web but also because this was truly an open, bottom-up effort to which a
wide set of parties contributed.

[And again, I am speaking for myself here, not necessarily being able to
reflect the views of the entire group].

Jano

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu