From: Andrea Perego [mailto:andrea.perego@jrc.ec.europa.eu]
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2017 11:34 AM
To: W3C SDW WG - Public
Subject: Additions to BP glossary

Dears,

As part of my tasks on the revision of BP8 (ACTION-249), I have been reviewing the BP doc as a whole, in particular wrt the notions used in BP8.

I realised that the notion of "dimension" (and its variants - e.g., "dimensional", dimensionality") is never explicitly defined, despite it is widely used across the BP doc. In most cases, it refers to the dimensions of a geometry, but in few cases it is used also for other contexts (e.g., the dimensions of statistical data).

I would suggest we add an entry to the glossary - at least about the notion of "dimension (geometry)" - we can point to from the relevant sections. There we could include also examples of dimensions, with the notation we are already using in different places of the BP doc - 0D (point), 1D (line), etc.

If this makes sense to you, I wonder whether you have a definition to suggest. I quickly checked on the ISO/TC211 terms, and this is the relevant entry:

http://registry.it.csiro.au/sandbox/iso-tc211/terms/213

Thanks

Andrea

--
Andrea Perego, Ph.D.
Scientific / Technical Project Officer

https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/

----
The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European Commission.