Re: ssn call this week: what to call sosa issue-84

I can’t recall a strong objection for SOSA. Raul mentioned that it is not the most fortunate name in Spanish as it means “bland” (which in ontological terms is quite appropriate considering the weak semantics of the ontology), but there was no other better name proposed in the meeting or since. We since have published a Working Draft that used the name SOSA. If there are no strong objections due to an offensive meaning in some other language I would propose to keep the name. We have many more pressing issues unresolved and I don’t think other ontology names in the W3C are particularly catchy, i.e. DCAT or PROV and frankly, SSN itself gives me always a bit of a shiver as a German speaker, as it reminds me of particular army fractions in the Third Reich. English speakers seem to be less sensitive to that issue, considering that several cars in Australia use the SS name for their Sport version.

SSN core was disregarded for the time being as it suggests that SSN new needs to import this SSN Core (SOSA). Although desirable, I don’t think we have resolved that issue yet.

From: Kerry Taylor <kerry.taylor@anu.edu.au>
Date: Tuesday, 17 January 2017 at 12:10 pm
To: "janowicz@ucsb.edu" <janowicz@ucsb.edu>, "public-sdw-wg@w3.org" <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>, "Simon.Cox@csiro.au" <Simon.Cox@csiro.au>, Raphaël Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>
Subject: RE: ssn call this week: what to call sosa issue-84

No, we did not.   It was  briefly raised at the F2F in Lisbon --- I think everyone who  expressed  an opinion  there very much wanted not SOSA . I did subsequently  post a question on the  email list (buried in a message to editors, not specifically asking the question)  and there were 3  responses, you and Simon supported  “Sosa” and Raphael argued for SSN core (with which I agree, for the same reasons).

On the other hand,  maybe the name is indeed dependent on whether or not
SOSA really has  anything to do with SSN, (see issue-139).

Mostly in the posting  I was just requesting that it was an issue to be resolved urgently. It has not been!

Link to relevant email thread: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdw-wg/2016Nov/0050.html

Kerry